Algae Control Products

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Steelhawk, Jul 20, 2017.

1. SteelhawkNew MemberMember

I have a big problem with Hair Algae, as well as other algae. I've cut back on the lights and got a new 17 w bulb to replace the old 20 w I had in there.

I've seen API Algaefix and Tetra Algae control, as well as Seachem Excel. Each one says it won't harm plants or fish.

I can't affort $72 for the Excel.

Do the other products work without harming plants or fish?

I have 4 big Mystery Snails but they don't control it well. I also have Kuhlis, Corys, Neons, White Clouds and Zebra Danios in a 30 gallon tank.

Plants in the tank are Amazon Sword, Wisteria and Java Fern.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

Doing water changes more often also helps decrease algae. You could give those products a try but there is no guarantee they will work.

3. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

It's not good to use chemicals to control algae. Without finding the root cause, it's just a superficial solution.

Picture? How long are the lights on every day? What are your parameters? Dosing any ferts? Does the tank get any sunlight?

4. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Keep your nitrates below 5ppm and reduce lighting length. Stay away from Warm lights as yellow promotes algae growth.

5. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Try raising your lights and/or reducing the photoperiod. Excel is 10$ for a 500ml bottle on amazon...

6. Chaotiklown

ChaotiklownNew MemberMember

Raising lights? I dunno... I've got the bluish-type light for my aquarium, and the times I've forgotten to shut it off all night, hair algae has popped up quick. Very frequent until I moved my tank away from the window... Both brown and green hairy types.

I just shut the light off for a full day, the stuff disappears fast. Then back to good light rotation habits. It's certainly a balance issue for me, tank being pretty heavily planted.

7. Chaotiklown

Oh and in reference to 'products'... our tank will likely nitro-cycle all over again if you come at the problem chemically. It's like how weed killer doesn't care if it's sapping a weed or a flower, it'll kill good bacteria and algae too

8. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

I think by raising lights she meant raising the actual lights higher so that the light is less intense.

9. Chaotiklown

:-D roger that

10. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

What brand lighting do you have?
    How long have you been leaving the lights on for?
    What size tank?
    What ferts are you using?
    How long has the tank been running for?
    Can you provide a picture?
    I usually find hair algae in plants other then those you have listed, just want to check to see if maybe some other type...

Excel is pretty easy to find and inexpensive, but usually not necessary for the plants you have listed. It may help as an algaecide, but if your not using proper ferts likely it can also cause some deficiencies in your plants (it's like stepping on the gas pedal with an empty tank, may run on fumes for a short while but no good for the car or driver)

Mystery snails will eat dead plant material, left over food, etc. they aren't effective at algae control.

Also, not a stocking expert by any means, but most of the fish you listed prefer cooler temps, the neons may not be the right choice with wcmm and zebra danios.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice