10 Gallon Tank Algae control in a fry tank

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I set this tank up pretty recently so at the moment there is not algae but I just wanted to go ahead and start thinking about some critters that would be good to help with algae control that won't eat my fry. I have a 10 gallon tank and all the fry in there currently will be three weeks old tomorrow (as I get new batches I am going to divide them up in the 10 gallon)

So I have been thinking about otos because they're small and are algae eating machines. And then I have also been tossing around the idea of snails. Once I divide I figure I'll want to divide up the algae eaters as well. So what do you think will be best?

Marc M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used to get terrible algae growth in my fry tank until I inadvertantly introduced some common snails from my main tank. While these snails are a pest in my main tank, they have been a welcome addition to the fry tank. I have not had any algae problems since and the best part is, they replenish their numbers. You could probably go to your LFS and ask them for a bunch from their planted tanks.

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Water changes and make sure your remove organic phosphates. The only tank I have issues with algea now is one that gets a beam of sun hitting it a little during the day and even that one is minimal. All my other tanks to include breeders used to have algea until I really learned how to control water parameters without using chemicals.

Harry

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actaully I have never minded a little algae in the fry tank. It provides some extra food for the fry because they eat the micro organisms
that are in the algae especially the new borns. But with that said I do put snails in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom