Algae Constantly On Glass....

Discussion in 'Algae' started by cm11599ps, Apr 2, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I am constantly getting algae on my glass. I'd say about once every 6 weeks or so I need to use a razor blade and go all the way around my tank to scrape the algae off. It's especially a problem if there's a fake plant right by the glass which leads me to believe it's due to little water circulation.

I last used the razor blade about 6 weeks ago and have been doing 30% WC every Sunday using my Python and then adding Stress Coat. The tank is not in direct sunlight. The lights are on about 9-10 hours a day and were just replaced about a month ago. I even have the growth when the lights are only on for 6 hours a day.

Is there a way to prevent this or is this just a part of basic maintenance?

2. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

What type of algae is it?

Brown spots as in diatoms?

Hairlike masses as in hair algae?

etc., etc., etc.

3. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I guess you might call it brown and it's not hairy. It gets on all the decorations and fake plants too but I'm not concerned about them, just the glass.

4. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

Just wanted to bump this.

5. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

It will be diatoms. Very common in tanks under 1 year old. I have it through my tanks at the moment.

You can increase your lights to 12hrs/day, and or get a 'clean up crew' such as algae eaters, bristlenose plecos or ottos. Look into the requirements of any algae eater before you purchase it/them though, as some need to be in groups (such as ottos) and potential adult size. Plus keep in mind that you will need to supplement their diet once the algae is consumed.

Diatoms do go away on their own if you leave it alone...

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Diatoms are usually due to lack of lighting. Just using a standard bulb that comes with a aquaium kit would be considered low lighting and would cause diatoms to grow. I swapped out my standard bulb with a Coral Life 50/50 and it made the diatoms disappear.

7. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I've had my tank for 12 years so far and I've kept different plecos during that time. My royal just died last week, I think he was attacked.

My current lights were replaced last month. I now have 2, 20W T8 Aqua-Glo's. They are on for about 8 hours a day. I just changed the timer for 12 hours a day. I have no live plants, only FW fish.

I always thought that lighting contributed to algae growth.

8. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

Should I keep with my new 12 hours a day? Should I replace my lights?

I can't get another fish because I'm overstcoked as it is.

9. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

Hmmm, Well theirs not alot you can do about im afraid. I would recommed Get An SAE as they eat all algae but they need a large aquarium, Some ottos but they are very sensitive to water conditions or a CAE but again they get very large, bn are good, RCS small dont take up room and will do a good job.

Most Pet shops sell Algae pads witch you just use as a wipe and it will remove the algae for a while.

Generally you will find that algae will occur in almost every tank.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the More Freshwater Aquarium Topics/Aquarium Water/Algae section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice