Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 20 gallon tank and it has
4 black neon tetras
5 neon tetras (2 are babies)
1 pleco

For the past two months, my tank water turns green. I have used ph balance, gotten my water tested, and created extra blocks from the sun. PetSmart told me that it was an algae problem. I have scrubbed my tank from the top to the bottom. Even after about 1 1/2 weeks, it starts turning green again. I do regular water changes and change out the filter every 2 weeks to make sure that it isn't the filter clogged.
What could be happening? Or why?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Things you need to do:

STOP THE PH BALANCE(Not to be rude)
Stop changing the filter cartridges(You need them to cycle the tank)
Do a 50% WC weekly

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The lights have stayed off for the last two months, and we threw out all of my Java Fern.

@75g Discus Tank
Not trying to be rude: I use the Ph balance because apparently when I got my water tested, the ph levels were too high so they said to use that for three months. Also, I try to do about a 50- 65% water change weekly, but by the end of the week, the water is cloudy. Could it be my food that is causing cloudy water or something else?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your PH probably was too high for the fish you selected according to whatever book they read. Drip acclimation would have probably worked fine (not that I know what your PH is).
Original post said Algae... Is it actually white, cloudy water?
When life permits, I recommend getting a test kit so that you know what's going on, instead of hearing someone you don't know tell you it's "too high".

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok. Would strips or tube be better? I have heard and read that strips are cheaper but can be inaccurate more often. But tubes are more usable.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would recommend tubes. And also you shouldnt change out your filter sponges, just rinse them in a bucket with tank water. Dont mes swith your pH unless it is INSANELY high. Consistency is more important when it comes to pH. You should be more worried about your cycle. That is most likely causing the algae, the lack of a bacterial colony.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Strips aren't cheaper. 25 strips for $20 or 80+ tests for $40. And yes, strips are more prone to inaccuracy (not counting human error). Honestly, though, if you're not comfortable with liquid tests, strips are better than not testing at all.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Use the API master test kit.

Also, I wouldn’t trust advice from petsmart.

The white cloudiness is a bacterial bloom from when you change out your filter cartridges.

pH balance will make your tank situation worse. Keeping ph stable is a lot better than chasing a “perfect” pH with chemicals.

So stop using pH balance.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
75g Discus Tank said:
Use the API master test kit.

Also, I wouldn’t trust advice from petsmart.

The white cloudiness is a bacterial bloom from when you change out your filter cartridges.

pH balance will make your tank situation worse. Keeping ph stable is a lot better than chasing a “perfect” pH with chemicals.

So stop using pH balance.
Agreed.

"Consistency is KEY."
-Joey Mullen (King of DIY)

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok. @king O' angelfish . so do I just need to wash out he algae in the filter cartridge. And what is could be causing it? I do use algae wafers for my pleco, but he typically stays in one side of my tank. And avoids the little tablets.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ljg said:
Ok. @king O' angelfish . so do I just need to wash out he algae in the filter cartridge. And what is could be causing it? I do use algae wafers for my pleco, but he typically stays in one side of my tank. And avoids the little tablets.
What filter do you have? Maybe its not cleaning good enough for the size of your tank. Start doing 50% water changes weekly, and feed only once a day what your fish can eat in 2-3min. Overfiltering is never bad, so if you want you can add another filter like a sponge filter. As for the filter cartridge, just rinse it every other week in a bucket with tank water. Do that and let us know what happens from there on.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom