Algae clean up crew

1. N

Nano Tanks Valued Member Member

Hello! I have a small 2.5 desktop tank with a guppy and some bacopa monnieri. I went on a week and a half trip to China, and I believe the little bit of excess lighting (the person who was watching the house might have slipped up) and the build up of nutrients from the lack of water changes led to a small break out of thread algae! It's not horrible, but I want to get ahead of it. I realized I don't really have a clean up crew so my question is what kind of clean up crew can I employ? I heard I can use a single netrile snail but can the snail clean off the delicate leaves of the plants? I've also heard shrimp like CRS can be used, but will they also eat algae? Any answers are appreciated! Thanks! :;banaman

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I have 1 Nerite snail in my 29g tank and he(or she) is great at cleaning algae, even off my delicate plants (they don't eat plants). Although I've never had a problem with hair algae, I recommend getting a Nerite snail. If you get a 'hungry one' your tank should be spotless (of algae)
    Just my opinion

3. OP
    OP
    N

Hahahah hopefully I get one with an appetite! So one is ok in a 2.5?

4. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Yes, one should be good, but I would not get any more than 1 for a 2.5g. 1 Malaysian trumpet snail may also work, I've read they are good at eating algae and no plants, but I've never had one.

5. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

You could also try some amano shrimp, depending on how big your guppy is. They love algae.

6. OP
    OP
    N

I've heard nerite snails lay eggs everywhere (though they can't hatch in freshwater) so I'm leaning away from them now. Also if they get rid of all the algae what should I supplement their diet with? So now a vote starts! Amano shrimp, Malaysian trumpet snail, or nerite snail? My vote is amano shrimp, so AS-1 MS-0 NS-0

7. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

if you buy Malaysian, you're nuts, fastest breeding animal in aquaria in my opinion.

8. OP
    OP
    N

Ok so no malysian trumpet snails, is the amano shrimp the best option?

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If it's hair/thread algae, I don't believe nerites will eat those. I think amano shrimp will though. But it's definitely better to fix the problem by reducing the lighting, not overfeeding, dosing Excel and even manually removing it with a toothbrush.

10. OP
    OP
    N

I've been removing it manually and cutting down on hours aswell, but don't have any flourish excel. I just really need to get the algae (I believe it is actually thread) off hard to reach places like right on the substrate and on plant leaves, also check out my other posts if you have time!

11. el337

Can you vacuum them up from the substrate? Doing spot treatments with excel on the plants leaves will help too.

12. OP
    OP
    N

Can't reach some of the gravel with a vac, but will the excel melt the leaves?

13. el337

Depends on the plant. Anacharis and Vallisneria are known to be sensitive to Excel.

14. OP
    OP
    N

Ok, I just have bacopa monnieri so I should be good, thanks for your help! I'm planning on buying an amano and some CRS once I get rid of my one guppy who has had over 10 babies without a male . Suggestions on getting rid of it? It was for sale in the feeder fish tank so I decided to save it for some time

15. el337

You mean getting rid of the guppy and the fry? Your LFS should be able to take them or you can post them on craigslist.

16. OP
    OP
    N

Ok thanks! I think I'll grow the fry till they are the size full size then give them away