Algae Can't Kill It!

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my tank set up almost 2 years now, I bought better lights and have many plants need some suggestions, so water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites ph 7.6 nitrates .10 and try to keep it below .25 I do weekly pwc of 25% and bought a timer so the light doesn't stay on too long, as I was accidentally leaving them on longer while at work, it looks like bba as it started growing on the driftwood and then the slower growing plants Anubis and java ferns, and has started on my other plants, I am limited on some of the treatments as I have snails in one tank and shrimp and otto cats in my tanks, so if I put together my other fish would eat the shrimp.. so the treatments I have used: soaking plants that were hardy in peroxide, I made a mistake a few months using bleach on my gentle plants had to start all over so if possible I would prefer to not take the whole tank down if possible, mine is nowhere as bad as it was a few weeks ago since I started drip treating my swords and jungle val, I lowered light time did a better gravel vac weekly, fed less and stuck to the weekly pwcs and raised the lights higher up and discounted liquid fertilizers.. should I just cut the plant leafs that has it growing on it and keep using the peroxide to hardy plants? lowered light usage 5 hours I would normally keep them on for 8hrs for the swords ferns and Anubis.. any suggestions before tearing the tank down and rebuilding? as the plant gravel was rather pricey, lastly does one of those UV devices I have seen help with algae growth? perhaps a powerhead? I have two aquaclear 50s running in 20g and aquaclear 20 running in 10 I know chemical balance is the issue so have been doing my best to my knowledge, and googling

thanks! sorry for the long post

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can try doing a blackout, which means no lights on the tank for at least three days, then the algae may start dying.

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
You can try doing a blackout, which means no lights on the tank for at least three days, then the algae may start dying.
yes was just reading about it today actually! some have said its worked but it depends how badly algae effected the tank is. I have some of it under control but starts up elsewhere is the tricky part! the plants should be ok a couple of days I am sure. should I also cover the entire tank up and turn the heater up a little? as I leave the tank at the lowest temperature the fish and snails can handle since the thermostat is a little tricky to get set correctly. I am planning to take the driftwood and any other deco today to soak those in bleach for a little bit and wash off, maybe boil the Mopani wood as I'm worried the bleach maybe too harsh. thanks for the reply, I think will try that since I have black background to fit the tanks to cover. and I will continue to clean what I can safely take out of the tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom