Algae Bloom

1. K

Kristin Gray Valued Member Member

I was extremely excited when I noticed Algae finally growing on the side of my tank (because it meant I could finally get the Pleco I’ve been wanting). Unfortunately, it has very rapidly turned into a large algae bloom. For lack of better term, my tank water looks Hulk green lol. I have battled a long term ammonia issue, which had finally dropped to 0 right around the same time that the algae bloom started. None of my other water parameters have changed. I ordered some Tetra AlgaeControl, but after reading some of the reviews online I am a little scared to use it. I thought about only giving half a dose.

Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

algae usually means your nitrates are off, but it could be other things also. Lighting should only be kept on 8 hrs a day since anymore will increase risk of algae. I would also do a 3 day blackout if you can where you cover the aquarium to keep light from getting in. Are you dosing ferts? This could be a problem also. Lastly about the pleco, not all plecos eat algae and normally they don't. Make sure you do your research on what eats algae and what doesn't.

3. OP
    OP
    K

No, no fertilizers. I have been turning my aquarium light off much earlier in the evenings, but if I do the blackout would it affect my fish? I have Angels, Tetra’s, Platy’s, a Dwarf Gourami, and now two baby Pleco’s. I tried a small water change and that didn’t seem to help. I’ll look into the Pleco’s a little more. I knew they also liked fresh veggies, which I plan on feeding as well, but my understanding was that they liked Algae as well.

4. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

water changes aren't actually going to help it because normally they increase nitrates because of tap water. A blackout wont' harm the fish and only if you have senstive live plants do you need to worry. And i think everyone makes a pleco mistake like that when starting. When i worked at a lfs everyother customer wanted a pleco to take care of algae. The other think they do is refer to them as sucker fish which is pet peeve of anyone working at a lfs.

5. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

I don't raise Plecos, but I do push my Otocinclus on anyone who asks for one. Never had a complaint (yet).

6. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Valued Member Member

Test your tap water for nitrates. It may be your water changes arent helping because the water being introduce is high in nitrates which fuels algae. If that is the problem, your gonna need another source of water, with more neutral nitrate parameters. If tap is fine after test. . ..water change away! W/C NEVER hurt... . . NEVER!!

7. OP
    OP
    K

At last test the nitrates in my tap water were very low. I will check it again when I get home. I think I’m going to try the blackout routine before I add any chemicals... if that doesn’t work, then I may have to resort to more extreme measures.

I’ve always liked Pleco’s, so even if they aren’t the algae fish I’m looking for I’ll still keep them, just may add some other algae eating fish as well. I looked at American Flag Fish, some know them as Florida Flag Fish, but I fear they would fight with my Angels. I don’t know much about Oto’s, but have heard of them. What varieties are there and how many would I need for a 55gal?

8. Mick Frost

For the Otos, if you get Otocinclus Affinis (most common), I'd suggest 6 to start. They only get to be about 2.5 inches long, but they eat 22 hours a day.
    For Killies, although they will nibble on Algae (specifically BBA/BHA), they will also nibble on anything slow enough to catch (Tetras especially).
    For the Algae, do you have a Phosphate test?

9. OP
    OP
    K

I don’t have a phosphate test, but am willing to get one if it’s something I need. Could you explain it’s signifigance please?

10. Mick Frost

Start with a Blackout, it's cheaper. Phosphate is one of the possible causes of algae. It's cheaper to remove than to test for though.

11. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

You're most likely feeding too much to the tank, hence the green water. Like others advised, you could try doing a blackout and stop feeding, but it will take a while so it takes patience and water changes. I wouldn't dose the algaecide at all, it can kill your fish and the algae can become resistant to it after a while.

The other option is getting a UV sterilizer. For me, this was the best option but since you have an indoor tank, you may want to try the blackout first.