Algae bloom?

1. seasmoke1 Initiate Member

My new 29 gallon tank is up and running nicely along with the ten gallon.. I decided to move a large Amazon sword actually half of it to the new tank. When I cut the root and started to remove the plant, it made an unbelievable mess in the tank. I vacumned as quickly as I could and then did a 25% water change and the tank looked better ...the next day, the water turned green..I did a 10% water change and changed the filter....I believe the green is an algae bloom??Ive done another 10% water change but it is still pretty green...What does anyone think? How many and how often can I do water changes ...I do not want to upset the N cycle.....I have also been using the 02 bubbler because Im not sure if this is in fact algae that it might deplete the O2...The fish seem to be happy in their swamp water....help

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Algae in Bloom

It seems as if you triggered an green algae bloom in your aquarium. Algae Bloom – It is caused by growth of microscopic algae that are suspended in the water. It is one of the more frustrating types of algae to remove, as can't be wiped or scraped off like other algae. Generally water changes are not effective, as the remaining algae will quickly grow back. Use of a diatomic filter, or completely blocking all light for several days is usually necessary to conquer green water.

You are going to have to completely block the light out of the aquarium for three days to kill the algae bloom. Water changes will only frustrate you because it will grow back as rapidly as you change the water. When I say all the light, I mean don't even peak for three days. After the third day do a large water change. That should take care of the problem.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I recently upgraded a tank only to have a huge algae bloom. The new tank was in the same location as the old, so the only thing I can figure it was the light in the new light.

I went out and purchased a UV sterilizer called "The Green Killing Machine" and my water cleared up in about 4 days. It's now crystal clear.

4. seasmoke1 Initiate Member

Thankyou for your advice..I did a blackout for 4 days followed with a 50% water change and limited light slightly for the following week and did a small water change and all is crystal clear.