Algae Bloom Help

MTSRandy

I have a 54 gallon corner tank. Nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 20. I all of a sudden got a greenish haze in my water. I'm assuming it's an algae bloom. Its a planted tank running 2 finnex planted plus 24/7 lights. I dose flourish advance and excel every other day. How do I stop the bloom?

TexasDomer

Reduce your lighting. What kind of plants do you have in there?

MTSRandy

Creeping jenny, ludwigia, rotala, several swords and crypts, anachris and spiral val. I think that covers it.

TexasDomer

Do you dose a comprehensive fertilizer? Do you use root tabs?

How long is your lighting on?

MTSRandy

I want a jungle Look in the backcorner which I have almost accomplished. I have my rotala and ludwigia framing my driftwood on either sides with my small swords and crypts up front. Oh I also have java fern which I attached to the driftwood.

Lighting is on for about 10 hours. No root tabs. Just seachem advance, excel and weekly doses of API leaf zone.

Cori Elizabeth

Water changes and scrubbing off the algae should help. I believe that algae blooms happen when cycling a tank

MTSRandy

My tank has been cycled for a while now. The only change I have made was running the high intensity setting for 8 hours instead of the 24/7 setting on my lights. I get more plant growth but now it seems that the excel isn't keeping the algae at bay.

Cori Elizabeth

Maybe the lighting is too intense and coaxed the algae?

dcutl002

Green Water? - yeah your lighting is too strong. Water changes seem not to help much with green water. you can change a lot of the water and the aquarium will appear clear temporarily, but it will come right back. The benefit of green water is that it absorbs ammonia and it does not hurt the fish: it is more of a cosmetic issue and it is hard to get rid of.

Removal
Method 1: perform a 90% water change, turn off CO2, have plenty of surface agitation, turn off the lights and wrap the tank to prevent light from getting into the tank for three days. Do not feed fish during this time.
Method 2: Micron cartridge for canister filter or Diatom filter. This takes the green water particles out of the water mechanically, but they do clog fast...just be aware.
method 3: UV Sterilizer. This kills the unicellular algae in the water.

MTSRandy

I've been contemplating a uv sterilizer for about a month now. I guess this is my aquariums way of saying yes get one lol

dcutl002

Yeah man. They work: unfortunately, it is an added expense. :yuck:

MTSRandy

I have 7 aquariums and wanted it more for being able to kill off any parasites and whatnot in my tanks if they had any. I was looking at the sunsun brand that I can use in all my tanks. I was thinking of cycling thru all the tanks with it. Guess I know which tank will be first.

TexasDomer

I agree, I think your lighting is too strong. If you back it down, add in a 4 hour siesta period, and do a few water changes, it should go away.

dcutl002

MTSRandy, the plant growth triangle is nutrients, CO2, and lighting...with lighting as the limited factor. With the stronger light that you have I'd suggest pressurized CO2 and nutrients. On the fertilizers, some suggest EI dosing...I don't do that...I just dose substrate pellets in the dirt and liquids in the water. I do have reactor that I built inline with my canister, but you can use a diffuser or inline diffuser. My tank is not perfect, the aquascaping is not the best, but I'm happy with it. My plants pearl as good as any that I have seen and everything is healthy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 68

MTSRandy

Pressurized co2 is in my future but I don't have the extra funds for start up right now. For now I just use excel. I have a sterilizer in mind and will be ordering it in a few days. Ill try limiting my lighting and do a few extra water changes in the interim. Thanks for the advice!

Morefiend

I had bad algae and diatoms...I had the light on from 7am to about 8pm...I dialed that way back...had the kids turn on the blue/night light around 3pm, then turned on the main light when I got home at 5pm to feed, then turned on blue from 5:30 to about 10pm, then completely off for the rest of the night.

Algae is mostly gone...

dcutl002

No problem. If you want to save money, I would not dose Excel...I would dose Metricide 14. A 2 Liter bottle of Excel is $31.54 while a 1 gallon jug of Metricide 14 is $30. What is metricide 14? It is Glut...same as Excel. Not only is Metricide 14 less expensive than Excel but it is also more concentrated. 1 ml of Excel equals 0.6 ml of Metricide 14. So, you do the math.

In case you are interested you can purchase it on Amazon. It comes in a jug as expected, but it will have a small bottle of activator attached to the handle...just throw the activator away because you will not use it.

MTSRandy

Thank you I will look into that

dcutl002

No problem. I use Metricide 14 every day. saves a lot of money with multiple tanks.

TexasDomer

Don't feel like you have to use glut/Excel though. It won't solve your green algae problem, and it's not necessary for plant growth. Also not needed for pressurized CO2. It's possible to have a beautiful, lush, planted tank without it.

MTSRandy

Well my solution for now is to take off one of the lights. I moved it to my 29 gallon that just had a t8 on it. The difference is stunning. I may not eat to put it back. Since its not bad for the fish I'm going to do biweekly water changes and only run the light on high a few hours a day for my red plants. Ill have a darker spot in back but nothing but low light plants back there. Ill give it a couple weeks before I rush on a uv sterilzer

Dave125g

MTSRandy I was wondering how everything turned out. I have an algae bloom now and was wondering if yours is straightened out, and if so what you did to correct it?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nikm128
  • Question
Replies
Views
Plecolover4477
Replies
Views
SamAPFish
  • Question