Algae Blackout

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since I have been giving my snail and Otos special food they have really gotten lazy as far as cleaning the algae from my one tank and even cleaning the tank twice a weeks hasn't kept up with it.  I went to turning off the lights early and that did not help since the tank still gets sunlight from the glass in my front door (it is almost all glass) all day as long as the sun is out.  Now I am considering a blackout for a few days.  I am wondering if this will damage the other plants or how long the blackout should last.  I am also wondering how I go about this.  Is it something that I do by draping something over the tank or wrapping the tank and watching the internal temperature of the tank or what.  Is it going to affect the fish and snail or should I remove them.  I have 3 otos and the 1 mystery snail in there right now as that is the tank that Noel was in and so now there is no Betta in there.

Any one having plant knowledge, I would appreciate your input.

Rose
???

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
From one of the most knowledgeable plant people I know (Feel free to email him if you have additional questions):

Treatment Option 1:
Tank blackout. This method is very effective against most species of BGA. Manually remove as much of the slimy BGA as possible. Then do a large (50-70%) water change and cover the tank with trash bags or thick blankets for 3-4 days. No light whatsoever should enter the tank. Your fish and plants will be fine, some plants like Glossostigma may get a bit "leggy" but you can give it a "haircut" and it will return to proper form in short order. Upon removal of the trash bags/blankets do another 50-70% water change, this helps get rid of all the dead BGA. Dose 10 ppm of nitrate and maintain nitrate at 5-20 ppm throughout the week.
https://www.aquariaplants.com/alqaeproblems.htm

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you, I had already done the scrubbing and the water changes. So all I needed to do was slip the black garbage bag over the top. We will see what the next 5 days bring. I read the whole article. It was very helpful. I bookmarked it for any future information, as I would advise anyone else to do with an algae problem or who thinks they may possibly have one in the future.

Rose

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Glad to help. Steve is a genius when it comes to planted tanks. He's helped me a great deal whenever I have any issues. His whole site is very informative, especially his guide for beginners.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Steves site is always helpful heres an article at plantgeek also
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom