Algae and stocking

michaelsf90

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Very much a beginner with fish keeping. I had a 25L tank which was for my son. Anyway it was me who ended up getting really into it so we now have a 125L fluval roma. Its around 33US Gallons. Had it running for 2 months. All water parameters are fine. One question is stocking. I currently have 10 danios, 3 zebra, 3 leopard and 4 golden danios with blue fins. We also have four peppered corey and 2 zebra nerite snails. I was hoping to get four or six glowlight danios but I'm worried about the stocking. Next is algae. Lately it has been getting bad on the ornaments. I take them out and scrub them. But a few days later and its back. I thought the snails would be mopping it up. Any help and advice would be much appreciated

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
  1. I think you'll be fine with the additional danios.
  2. I'd also recommend getting several more peppered corys. They do better in groups, and the bigger the better.
  3. Do you have any live plants? They help with algae since they take up some of the light and nutrients that would otherwise be used by algae. In any case, the nerites should be helping. Amano shrimp might be another option. I'm told they are good algae eaters, but I haven't kept any yet. Limiting light might also help.

michaelsf90

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a large plant which is planted in a rock/stone and a small plant planted in a log. I usually have the white light on for 8 hours for the plants and blue light for 4 hours. Should I limit the light? I got told four peppered Corey's would be fine. I got told one inch of fish per gallon and I think I'm over that already. The danios will grow to 2 inch and Corey's 2.5 to 3 inch. So I'm at 32 inch already. Would be nice to have the glowlight danios for the colour. The danios arent schooling either. They do swim together at times but more often than not they are all over the tank!

YellowGuppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you describe (or provide a photo of) the algae? Based on how long your aquarium had been up and running, I suspect it might be diatoms—red-brown powdery coating on everything. I had a bloom of them about 2-3 months after I started up.

If that's the case, you can wipe them off if you want, but they'll eventually die out after a month or so and then never come back in the same numbers.

michaelsf90

Valued Member
Reaction score
Its green stuff. I've been scraping it off the glass and cleaned the ornaments. If I leave the ornaments a few days it'll get quite thick and if you look close like look hairy if that makes sense. I haven't sufferer from algae yet in this tank until now. I'm wondering do I need more than 2 snails. Or should I get 2 shrimp?

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
michaelsf90 said:
I have a large plant which is planted in a rock/stone and a small plant planted in a log. I usually have the white light on for 8 hours for the plants and blue light for 4 hours. Should I limit the light? I got told four peppered Corey's would be fine. I got told one inch of fish per gallon and I think I'm over that already. The danios will grow to 2 inch and Corey's 2.5 to 3 inch. So I'm at 32 inch already. Would be nice to have the glowlight danios for the colour. The danios arent schooling either. They do swim together at times but more often than not they are all over the tank!
By glow light danios if you mean choprae danios I had to increase my school size to 15 to limit the fighting. I’d recommend staying away from them they were horrible fun nippers at a school of 7 and 10. Got better when I went to 15. It’s a known problem with them and most recommend 10-20 fish.

michaelsf90 said:
Its green stuff. I've been scraping it off the glass and cleaned the ornaments. If I leave the ornaments a few days it'll get quite thick and if you look close like look hairy if that makes sense. I haven't sufferer from algae yet in this tank until now. I'm wondering do I need more than 2 snails. Or should I get 2 shrimp?
That’s not super abnormal at a tank that’s only a few months old. How’s your nitrates and could check phosphates too.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
michaelsf90 said:
Hello everyone. Very much a beginner with fish keeping. I had a 25L tank which was for my son. Anyway it was me who ended up getting really into it so we now have a 125L fluval roma. Its around 33US Gallons. Had it running for 2 months. All water parameters are fine. One question is stocking. I currently have 10 danios, 3 zebra, 3 leopard and 4 golden danios with blue fins. We also have four peppered corey and 2 zebra nerite snails. I was hoping to get four or six glowlight danios but I'm worried about the stocking. Next is algae. Lately it has been getting bad on the ornaments. I take them out and scrub them. But a few days later and its back. I thought the snails would be mopping it up. Any help and advice would be much appreciated
Hello mike...

If you want to add a few, small fish that's fine. You'll need to increase the amount of the weekly water change too. A 30 gallon tank needs half the water changed every few days to keep the fish healthy. As for algae, it can become a problem if your fish don't eat all the food. Leftover food dissolves in the tank water and feeds the algae. As long as you don't feed the fish too much and routinely remove and replace half the tank water, you won't have any tank problems.

Old

michaelsf90

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is half the tank water not too much. Since its cycled I've been doing 15% a week. I gravel clean all the gravel weekly. I want some more colourful fish but my tank is 22 degrees c, 72 Fahrenheit. I read peppered Cory's prefer low 70s and the danios do so its finding a colourful fish compatible at that temperature and with the fish I already have. Would the glowlights not be happy with the other danios?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
michaelsf90 said:
Is half the tank water not too much. Since its cycled I've been doing 15% a week. I gravel clean all the gravel weekly. I want some more colourful fish but my tank is 22 degrees c, 72 Fahrenheit. I read peppered Cory's prefer low 70s and the danios do so its finding a colourful fish compatible at that temperature and with the fish I already have. Would the glowlights not be happy with the other danios?
50% is a good number to aim for to keep the aquarium healthy. Not sure if anyone said this but the "inch per gallon rule" is nonsense. Since Danios like to stay up top for the most part consider a mid swimmer like Odessa or Gold Barbs. Both are temperate and colourful, keeping 5-6 of 1 species should be fine plus add a couple more Peppered Corydoras.

michaelsf90

Valued Member
Reaction score
The danios are all over the tank to be fair. They go to the top when someone walks past because they think they're getting fed haha the corys are generally at the bottom but the danios are everywhere. So how many peppered Cory's? The barbs look like they grow quite big?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
michaelsf90 said:
The danios are all over the tank to be fair. They go to the top when someone walks past because they think they're getting fed haha the corys are generally at the bottom but the danios are everywhere. So how many peppered Cory's? The barbs look like they grow quite big?
2 more Corydoras.
Odessa stay under 2 inches and Gold Barbs get about 3 inches.

michaelsf90

Valued Member
Reaction score
The Odessas look beautiful :) definitely add some colour to the tank. Thank you for the advice. Once the algae has cleared up those fish will be my next purchase!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom