Algae and Platty questions

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI Everyone,
Two questions here:
1) My 10 gallon Walstad tank is starting to accumulate some substantial algae, on the leaves of my plants as well as the sides of the tank. Is it safe to use algacide in such a tank? 10 gallons, contains platys of various age, an endler, an assassin snail. Heavily planted, no filter, no air stone. Any help would be appreciated!

2) So, platys breed like rabbits. I am going to need to separate the female(s); I have a well-established 36 gallon tank that I can move them to. Do platys need to be kept in schools, or could I place one into a tetra tank? It has Buenos Aires, glowlight, and neon tetras. I think I've only got one female, but its hard to tell as I have babies colored like all three of my adult platys.

Thank you guys for any assistance.
-J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
You can place one in the tank by itself but it will likely have more kids as they tend to 'hold' sperm for a while...

Is it getting sunlight if not you can try reducing the time the light is on. Normally for a 10 gallon i'd suggest a nerite snail but the assassin snail would probably eat it. You can try algacide like excel but don't over do it. Also it can have a negative impact on some plants. It didn't kill any of my plants but some of them grew a lot better after I stopped using it.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Since you have lots of live plants I would probably resort to using algacide. You could reduce the amount of light for each day, but make sure that the plants still get the minimum amount of light.

Livebearers such as platies can still drop fry even after they have been separated from a male. I think platies would prefer their own kind, but don't really mind if they are surrounded with peaceful tankmates. Just keep out an eye for them though.

OP
J

Justin I

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gel0city said:
Since you have lots of live plants I would probably resort to using algacide. You could reduce the amount of light for each day, but make sure that the plants still get the minimum amount of light.

Livebearers such as platies can still drop fry even after they have been separated from a male. I think platies would prefer their own kind, but don't really mind if they are surrounded with peaceful tankmates. Just keep out an eye for them though.
So...you're saying do use algaecide, yea?

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Justin I said:
So...you're saying do use algaecide, yea?
Honestly, I would wait for another member to verify this. Adding different things to your water can harm the plants more than benefit them.

New Threads