Algae And Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Brizburk, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Brizburk

Brizburk Well Known Member Member

Correct me if I'm wrong - from what I've read, there's lots of nutrients in the tank, more than my plants can gobble up so algae takes the rest. To limit the algae growth I should increase the amount of plants I have.

I know lighting plays a role, finnex planted+24/7 and full lights out from midnight till 0400.

So more plants right?

[​IMG]

Funky angle but you can see all the algae.

[​IMG] ....maybe I just need more nerite snails

2. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

I will always encourage more plants. The more the merrier. Algae will have a harder time growing if you have good water flow in the tank as well. A nice current helps. Not to strong. You don't want hurricane force in there. You may be overfertilizing? I would either cut back on ferts or add more plants.

3. MTSRandy

Yes snails will help. I have snails in all my tanks.

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Tell us more about your setup please. That algae looks pretty bad.
    What is your substrate?
    Liquid ferts schedule?
    Current plants?
    This will help us figure out what is going on.

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

More plants will always help with algae, and make your tank better.

However, that algae is pretty thick, so there's more problems than just your plants.

What substrate do you use?

Do you use root tabs? How about liquid ferts?

What helped me with algae was a split photo period.

Allow the tank only 8 hours of light a day at first. Give it 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours late in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon, and then 2 hours in the evening. Continue this schedule for a month, and continue to remove algae by hand.

By the end of the month, you should see a significant drop in algae, if not a complete annhilation of it.

6. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

I don't use fertilizers.... I do have ecocomplete

7. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

Yea goofy angle ... here's a better one
    [​IMG]

5 Anubias, two nano and 3...can't remember. Lots of java moss. Marimo moss balls x 3. Jungle Val that's not growing as well as I expected it to. A banana plant - again not growing well. And an unknown pretty thing that I don't know .... oh and another unknown ... got a bunch of free plants a couple months ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and [​IMG]

No ferts/CO2. 30gal

Ecocomplete with some aquarium gravel for a natural look

I do plan on getting more plants, CO2 and a canister filter

Lighting again is Finnex Planted +24/7. Full lights out from midnight to 0400

I don't want to do a split cycle with the lights as I want as natural an environment as possible. I don't mind the algae, the snails and shrimp love it but it loves my anubias. Also I always leave some algae on the back for my snails to snack on.

I've cut way back on how much I feed. I was over feeding for a while after I lost most my fish ...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The setup looks fine. What worries me is the lighting. You said the lights are off from 12 PM to 4 AM? Which means the lights are on for about 20 hours? Correct me if I am wrong please.
    I would suggest just giving the plants 8-12 hours of a light per day.
    A well planted tank will also help fight off algae, but lights seem to be the main problem here.

9. MTSRandy

Then by all means put more plants in if you like the look of it. Just choose beginner type plants. Water wysteria, anacharis, anubias, java fern, totals India, most Amazon swords all are easy plants for low tech tanks.

10. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

If I did this. Wouldn't it come back once I'm back on a normal schedule? I've never liked the idea of throwing my fish into a random day/night schedule

11. Lorekeeper

The fish don't really care about the lighting schedule. Mine are fine, and always have been when I do this.

And yeah, it'd come back when you went to a normal schedule. But you never do a normal schedule.

You can gradually increase it to 10-12 hours a day though.

12. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Nutrients do not cause algae if you have healthy plants. Some people overdose on ferts daily and do not get algae because they have balanced tanks with good growth. I think you have way too much light and not enough fast growing plants to outcompete the algae.

13. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

Ah ha! Fast growing plants. Suggestions on which ones?

14. Lorekeeper

15. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

I hate to tell you this but your algae came with your Eco-Complete.
    I just asked about that substrate on another post and other people had the same problem.
    They pack algae spores into the eco-complete substrate for the heterotrophic bacteria to have something to eat so they don't die.

This sludge eating bacteria eventually dies in your tank, your nitrifying bacteria pretty much outcompete them, which they should anyways, and the nasty sludge algae takes over.
    You can dose your tank with a bottle of sludge eating bacteria (heterotrophic).

16. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

17. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

Huh, that's interesting. I'm not over worried about it, looks totally natural. What would you suggest over ecocomplete? I'd also really like to read that thread you mentioned ... link?

18. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

I finally spent the day cleaning up my tank. I added water lettuce and soon after the rest of my plants started turning yellow.

My filter also stopped working as well which may have played a part. I now have a penplex cascade 500 canister with seachem matrix. I also replaced half my substrate (eco complete and gravel) with sand. Here are the results ... 885fd42f61a439533767319702429ac6.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

I finally spent the day cleaning up my tank. I added water lettuce and soon after the rest of my plants started turning yellow.

My filter also stopped working as well which may have played a part. I now have a penplex cascade 500 canister with seachem matrix. I also replaced half my substrate (eco complete and gravel) with sand. Here are the results ... 885fd42f61a439533767319702429ac6.jpg

20. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice