10 Gallon Tank Algae and pest snails

Hobbyist

I have both algae and pest snails in my tank, I know there is nerite snails and assassin snails and here is the problem, assassin snails can kill nerite snails if they don’t find food and nerites wont kill small pests, what should I buy, should I buy an assassin snail and remove algae with my hand or any tool or what do you think?

Attachments

Seasoldier

Well Known
Hi, before looking at treatments I'd look at the root cause of the algae & pest snails i.e. how much are you feeding? how long do you have the tank illuminated (both natural light & tanks lights) how much stock do you have in the tank? (is it over stocked). My first line of advice would be to cut down on food, lessen hours of lighting to less than 8 per day & do regular water changes to remove nitrates & phosphates from the tank, that should hopefully help with both algae & pest snails, then get a snail trap I use a JBL snail trap & find it very effective at removing pests but some pest snails (MTS etc.) are good for the tank they aerate the substrate by burrowing & stop the build up of toxic gasses & they're a good part of the tank 'clean up crew'.

OP
H

Hobbyist

Seasoldier said:
Hi, before looking at treatments I'd look at the root cause of the algae & pest snails i.e. how much are you feeding? how long do you have the tank illuminated (both natural light & tanks lights) how much stock do you have in the tank? (is it over stocked). My first line of advice would be to cut down on food, lessen hours of lighting to less than 8 per day & do regular water changes to remove nitrates & phosphates from the tank, that should hopefully help with both algae & pest snails, then get a snail trap I use a JBL snail trap & find it very effective at removing pests but some pest snails (MTS etc.) are good for the tank they aerate the substrate by burrowing & stop the build up of toxic gasses & they're a good part of the tank 'clean up crew'.
Thanks for the advices, as for the feeding I feed the fish once a day and they consume it within 1-2 minutes, I keep lights and on for 10 hours and my plan is keep it on for 7 but I don’t always remember when to turn it off also, I sometimes keep it less or more than ten hours so keep that in mind, the natural light begins from the sunrise and I open the lights usually at 3pm and off at maybe 1am or 12am and I turn off the room lights usually when I turn off the aquarium lights( sometimes I forget to turn the aquarium lights off so I turn it off until the next day), as for the stock I have four platys ( two juveniles) and two cherry shrimps (planning to get more) and one ghost shrimp and one amano and two kind of plants.

Seasoldier

Well Known
Well you're not over stocked so that's not a problem & you don't seem to be over feeding but the amount of light is definitely not going to help with the algae problem, have you thought about getting a timer for your lights you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn them off then, as for the snails if you don't want to get assassins then I'd go for a simple snail trap you can remove dozens a day with one, just leave it with some food in overnight & then empty the snails out each morning, this is the one I use
Snail jail.JPG

OP
H

Hobbyist

Seasoldier said:
Thanks for the advices, as for the feeding I feed the fish once a day and they consume it within 1-2 minutes, I keep lights and on for 10 hours and my plan is keep it on for 7 but I don’t always remember when to turn it off also, I sometimes keep it less or more than ten hours so keep that in mind, the natural light begins from the sunrise and I open the lights usually at 3pm and off at maybe 1am or 12am and I turn off the room lights usually when I turn off the aquarium lights( sometimes I forget to turn the aquarium lights off so I turn it off until the next day), as for the stock I have four platys ( two juveniles) and two
Seasoldier said:
Well you're not over stocked so that's not a problem & you don't seem to be over feeding but the amount of light is definitely not going to help with the algae problem, have you thought about getting a timer for your lights you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn them off then, as for the snails if you don't want to get assassins then I'd go for a simple snail trap you can remove dozens a day with one, just leave it with some food in overnight & then empty the snails out each morning, this is the one I use
Snail jail.JPG
Thanks again, the lights came with the aquarium so I don’t know if I can get a timer, but I don’t think that’s a problem because I can set a timer myself on the mobile, and for the trap, I think if I solve algae problem I can put an assassin snail.

New Threads