Algae #2

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently posted about the green algae problem I have in 2 of my tanks..There were a lot of suggestions and I tried those that were applicable to my situation..One of them was to but some Bristlenoses. I did buy them (2 in each tank) and I never see them out..They have been in there about a week now. I know Plecos are famous for hiding but I did not thinks BN were. Alas I still have the Green Algae...I clean it off (and some of it requires some work) and it seems to reappear. There is no direct sunlight on the tank and water readings are good (amm-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-5) I tried a blackout on one of the tanks but it didn't work...Does any one have a solution other than draining the tank and letting it die..I have enough room for transfering fish to other tank but would perfer not to go through such an effort..

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
chipster55 said:
I recently posted about the green algae problem I have in 2 of my tanks..There were a lot of suggestions and I tried those that were applicable to my situation..One of them was to but some Bristlenoses. I did buy them (2 in each tank) and I never see them out..They have been in there about a week now. I know Plecos are famous for hiding but I did not thinks BN were. Alas I still have the Green Algae...I clean it off (and some of it requires some work) and it seems to reappear. There is no direct sunlight on the tank and water readings are good (amm-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-5) I tried a blackout on one of the tanks but it didn't work...Does any one have a solution other than draining the tank and letting it die..I have enough room for transfering fish to other tank but would perfer not to go through such an effort..
Have you tried Otos or Ghost Shrimp? They may be more effective at algae control than the bristlenoses, especially the Otos.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually I have a couple chinese algae eaters but they rarely get on glass..My other tanks have a couple otto's...same results..

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hmm.. maybe an apple snail in each tank would work? They're too big for our little 10 gallon tanks, but i think they'd fit into larger tanks fine.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are just some varieties of algae that fish won't eat....I have a very tough,thick green algae in my tank that my ottos won't touch....So when it gets out of control on the decorations, I scrub it off in the old tank water when I'm doing a water change. I never do all of the decorations at the same time. I do one a week.

If algae on the glass is a problem, you could get an algae magnet. They typically do a good job of removing algae on the glass....Scrape the panes, then vacuum right afterward to get up as much od the loose algae as possible....

Most times some varieties of algae develop from overfeeding and too much light....You could also cut back on your feeding and reduce the amount of time the lights are on....Maybe that will help.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the info...Sorry it took so long to reply, I seem to have gotten it under control using the glass magnet and also did 3 water changes in 4 days.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good to hear. i'll keep the magnet in mind should we get that algae in our tanks.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have the magnet and it's GREAT! I recommend it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom