Alder Cones??

Lily Kart

HI everyone!
Is there someone who can explain me what alder cones actually do? Where to buy them (is Ebay a good, safe source?) or if I can actually grab some behind my house in the alder trees and désinfect them? ( I wonder if it would work..I don't know if they treat them cones or not before selling them?! :/) any advice or experience with alder cones? Every tips or counsel is gladly appreciated !!!!

Ken Ooi

HI everyone!
Is there someone who can explain me what alder cones actually do? Where to buy them (is Ebay a good, safe source?) or if I can actually grab some behind my house in the alder trees and désinfect them? ( I wonder if it would work..I don't know if they treat them cones or not before selling them?! :/) any advice or experience with alder cones? Every tips or counsel is gladly appreciated !!!!

According to Gum Tree where a seller is advertising for these- the information states:

Alder Cones are supposed to help lower pH and prevent fungal infections when added to an aquarium. They do release a lot of tannins and noticeably darken your water.
The small cones release a lot of tannins and will noticeably darken your water. The large cones are several times the size but do not release many tannins. Both the large and small cones provide space for biofilm to grow.

Lily Kart

According to Gum Tree where a seller is advertising for these- the information states:

Alder Cones are supposed to help lower pH and prevent fungal infections when added to an aquarium. They do release a lot of tannins and noticeably darken your water.
The small cones release a lot of tannins and will noticeably darken your water. The large cones are several times the size but do not release many tannins. Both the large and small cones provide space for biofilm to grow.

Thanks! I wonder how many people use these!

NavigatorBlack

I've used them for years, as a mild tannin source for my rainforest fish. I would never buy them - I take them off local alders in the late fall. The deer get mad at me and give me dirty looks, but a guy does what he has to do.

They don't do a lot - they are very mild, although that could depend on the species where you live. I like a little tinting in water, actually more than they offer. A release of tannins can be a spawning trigger for some fish.

Lily Kart

I've used them for years, as a mild tannin source for my rainforest fish. I would never buy them - I take them off local alders in the late fall. The deer get mad at me and give me dirty looks, but a guy does what he has to do.

They don't do a lot - they are very mild, although that could depend on the species where you live. I like a little tinting in water, actually more than they offer. A release of tannins can be a spawning trigger for some fish.

Okaaay...the tannin comes actually from the alder tree...I don't know why I thought it was some kind of treatment used to make wood aquarium safe. I think that's what I have been told by some hesitant pet shop employee when I was looking to buy mopany wood haha. There are some alder trees here....does other cones works too? Or only the cones from alder trees?

Keystone

Dried almond or oak leaves are tannin sources

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Andy S
  • Question
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views