Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Water perimeters:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Ph: 6.8
It is a 60 gallon tank. Take mates are 8 other tiger barbs, a pearl gourami, a GBR, a rainbow shark and a juvenile Senegal Bichir. The bichir I believe bit and then ate my juvenile (1 inch) BN pleco this weekend because the pleco has been mia since Saturday evening when I noticed the injury. I am actually waiting for my LFS owner to get back to the shop tonight after picking some rays up at the airport because I am bringing the bichir back and bringing home some kuhlI loaches.
So I came home from work today and noticed the largest of my tiger barbs has red swollen lips. Any ideas on what it could be? Help please!

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have stocking issues, if you'd like to address them (outside of the bichir).

Looks like it may be a bacterial infection to me. I would treat it. Do you have a QT tank?

OP
amberalert

amberalert

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What do you mean with the stocking issues?
And I just found the pleco, and he doesn’t look too good. I do have a qt tank that isn’t set up. But have had he filter media running in my established tanks filter along with its filter cartridge. I planned on setting it up tonight before all this happened

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have temperature incompatibilities (pearls and GBRs should be in warmer water than the TBs) and behavioral incompatibilities (I would not keep a gouramI with the nippy TBs).

Do you have a pic of the pleco?

OP
amberalert

amberalert

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It came on very suddenly and a day after I added the bichir. It was fine up until Saturday. The last time I saw it normal was around noon Saturday. Got home Saturday evening and immediately noticed the marks, and part of its dorsal fin torn. Not like don’t rot, but actually bitten off.

And as for the temperature, it’s sitting at 80 degrees and everyone is happy. There was another gouramI in there that was getting picked on and I moved her to a 30 gallon

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
80 F is too high for the barbs, and will result in a shortened lifespan (and often more aggression).

Do you have a separate QT for the pleco? Not sure I'd combine them.

OP
amberalert

amberalert

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m leaving the pleco in the 60 gallon for now and put the barb in the qt with no carbon in the filter because I just put melafix, pimafix, and salt. His mouth looks worse, I’m wondering if it’s the dreaded cotton mouth.... it looks almost like it had ulcers

Attachments

IndigoTJo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am not sure if you know, but melafix and pimafix are just "remedies", you may need something more aggressive at this point, as well as moving it to QT. I have not treated a bacterial infection myself yet (knock on wood), and I am not 100% sure that is what is wrong. Maybe someone else here who has can suggest something for you.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pimafix and Melafix won't do anything. Salt likely won't either. You might need an antibiotic.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sorry you lost him. For something like that, I would move to an antibiotic. It seems that issues like that (red and swollen) on the face need something stronger. I lost an angel to something similar a few years ago.

OP
amberalert

amberalert

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everyone else seems fine. I’ll keep you posted if anything happens to the rest of the tank

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would address your stocking issues still. As mentioned, the higher temps can lead to a shortened lifespan and an increased susceptibility to disease.

OP
amberalert

amberalert

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I Brought the temp down to 79. As of right now, I don’t have an appropriate set up to move the ram to as my 29 already has a pair of rams with a male thick lip gouramI and a female opaline gouramI and a bn pleco and the QT is only a 10 gallon.

New Threads