Albino tiger barb not interacting with normal tiger barbs

Eunfish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently bought 5 tiger barbs and an albino barb for my 55 gallon tank. I believe I have 1 male tiger and 4 females but I'm not sure what the albino is. He/she just stays in a corner by itself while the others swim around together. Do tigers and albino tigers not mix? Is this albino another male? I don't want to stress him and I'm confused as to why he isn't schooling with the others. I wouldn't be able to add any more fish right away to my tank but should I bring the albino back or buy some other albinos when my tank is ready?

Graphix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well different colours may cause the others to not accept him, you could wait and see but if it lasts either get more albinos or take him back

Cygnus

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome,

Did you put all of them in the tank at the same time? It could be that the albino is feeling like the odd man out, or maybe it's just taking a little longer to get used to the tank.

I'd give it a few days and if he/she doesn't "fit" in, I'd pick up 1 or 2 more albinos to help it have it's own group.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The regular tiger barbs are hanging out close together while the albino swims around the tank? Generally, a shoal of barbs that feels comfortable will wander around the tank freely as individuals and only group tightly like a school when they're nervous. Albinos generally will join a shoal of tiger barbs and vice versa, but you'll always find individuals who don't go along with this. At any rate, in my opinion, your colors would look better balanced with more albinos, and the fish would certainly like it

Dondomingo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They're right, quite possible the coloring is just enough to make him the odd man out. All my tigers are stripped except one is full green. I bought the whole lot of them together so luckily he was already part of the group.

If your not passed your limit on the tank, get a few more albino's, he'll thank you for it

Fishdude846

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, get a few more albinos. I have regular, albino, and green introduced at different times, and while they all school together, the like-colored ones hang out and interact more with those of the same color.

OP
E

Eunfish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also I was wondering with this species what is a normal amount of aggression/chasing and what should I consider detrimental to the fish being chased? My male tiger has begun harassing some of the other barbs which is normal from what I've read but wanted to know if there's anything I should be watching for. Thanks for all the advice!

Cygnus

Well Known
Reaction score
Tiger barbs are semI aggressive fish, so they will have to develop a pecking order. Just watch for nipped fins or one being chased relentlessly. Having some plants or hiding places will help with the aggression also.

New Threads