Help Albino Tiger Barb Health Concerns

CaptainSupport

Reaction score
Hey all,

First time poster here, thought I'd try out a forum about fishes since I've getting deeper in the hobby these last few months. There is an issue however that I've been unable to solve recently, and could use some help. I got a 75 gallon tank last month from somebody in the area, and it came with some rainbow sharks, corydoras, and 3 tiger barbs, two albino.
The barb in question has a slightly curved spine and her head is stuck to one side, resulting in 1 gill flap stuck open. Additionally, she has a vent prolapse that has not gotten any better in the month I've had her. There are red worm-looking squiggles in the prolapse, which I fear is camallanus worms, but the barb is behaving perfectly (social, friendly) normal all month. I treated with Levamisole and there was only lots of white long stringy stool, no sign of worms. I did this on a bare bottom QT tank.

No signs of sickness behavior wise, so I am a bit confused. I've been thinking fish TB, gill flukes, but they don't seem likely. Any insight would be appreciated.
See pictures below:
1.jpg5.jpg2.jpg4.jpg6.jpg

Best Answer - View Treestone's answer

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What dose did you use with the levamisole and how many days did you treat?

Also, I wouldnt say things like flukes and Fish TB are unlikely. A study a few years ago showed that almost 40% of fish that died from unknown causes died due to Fish TB and complications from it. It's really not uncommon at all, unfortunately. I would post the link if I had it on hand.

The fish is probably so infested with worms it is having problems passing them. Even if you can get rid of the worms they have probably already done pretty bad internal damage to the fish. The spine will also probably continue to deform worse with time causing more swimming and breathing problems. That, along with the fact he could be exposing your other fish to serious diseases would make me seriously consider killing the fish humanly to prevent further suffering. If you don't want to do this, I would set him up in his own tank, although if the other fish have been in with him the intire time they probably already defenantly have worms at the very least.

OP
C

CaptainSupport

Reaction score
I thought Levamisole was water based. I treated with it for a three day period with the tank in darkness and left her there for a week after. I heard you need to treat twice for this worm, but since I found nothing resembling a worm I decided it wasn’t needed. Maybe I was wrong.
I wasn’t aware TB was that common, I thought it was a rarity. When you say it like that, it probably is better to put her down, but I wanted to find a way to save the fish if I could.
I guess I’m going to have to completely strip the tank then, I heard the eggs for this worm are a nightmare.

OP
C

CaptainSupport

Reaction score
I hear you, I will do that when I treat my entire tank this weekend. Thank you for the help!!

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had great success when dosing my tanks at 2 ppm of levamisole. However it only paralyzes the worms so unless you do multiple heavy heavy gravel vacs and full water change daily while treating it will not work, since the worms/eggs may still infect the fish. The killing dose of levamisole is 13 ppm, but most fish do not fare well with this high dose.

OP
C

CaptainSupport

Reaction score
I plan to use levamisole at 2ppm and fish Bendazole together, remove gravel, daily vacuum, and do that for 3 days. Complete water change and repeat the treatment 3 weeks later. At the end, I’ll have fresh gravel to avoid reusing the gravel that could be hiding eggs. I just hope my Cory’s and rainbow sharks survive. I imagine 13ppm would kill them instantly. I know this medication isn’t good for scaleless fishes.

New Threads