Albino/Lutino Oscar ?Ich?

TreeSqueak

Hello everyone.
I'm not a fish person and neither is my mother. My mum has a full grown Lutino Oscar, until a few months ago my brother would come over and do all water changes and such for her, all she did was feed him. But he has recently moved away.
He used to practically jump out of the tank to get fed. But he is now very lathargic, not eating and sitting on an angle don't he bottom of his tank.

I would like to take him off my mum's hands and try to save him, he has apparently been sick for quite a while so I'm thinking of getting medication.

It's hard to tell with his colour if he has white spots, but I can see some possibly on his fins.

So I'm consulting the lovely experts here. Do we think this may be ich? Could treating it as if it is help for other things that might be wrong?

Annnd is there a definitive guide for temperature/medication/salt that would suit the Oscar and his tankmate brostlenose?

Note I will upload a Google drive link to the video of him as soon as it finished uploading. Apparently it's too big for the forum
Video of Mr Grouch

New video by Joanne Bombardier

Attachments

• VID_20220709_073718_exported_5037.jpg
    VID_20220709_073718_exported_5037.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 9

A201

A good start towards recovery would be to make a 35% - 50% water change & do this on a weekly basis.
Looks like small abrasions on the pectoral fin. I'm not seeing Ich.
Be careful not to over feed & don't blindly medicate.

TreeSqueak

I will endevour to do a 50% water change this weekend. I've never done one before but I'm sure a trip to a local pet shop and my Google skills I will manage.
Unfortunately I won't be back at mum's (2 hours away) for two weeks, but in that time my Dad is going to help me set up a medical tank at my house with established filter material. He has heaps of tanks.

So I'll bring Mr Grouch home with me on the weekend of the 23rd. I'll keep his temp on the high end of ideal and change the water every week (50%).

I might get some of Dads shrimp to put in with him, so he can eat if he wants to but it won't mess up the water if he isn't eating. (I will try feeding him as well)

After a few weeks we will see how he is doing.
Thankyou. And stay tuned. :)

TreeSqueak

Mr Grouch and his albino Bristle nose pal are now in the 70 litre tank at my house.

I noticed a number of holes in the poor guys head, they are difficult to see with his colouring.

So I have treated the water with general cure and will follow the instructions on the packet.

Video.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BkzkDgxpzycCMtiU8

Attachments

• received_1277421256126274.jpeg
    received_1277421256126274.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220725_213133.jpg
    IMG_20220725_213133.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 2

Luckyfish87

The tank is how big?
70 liters is 18 gallons
Oscars need at least a 55 gallon by themselves minimum
Also a lot of filtration
Ideal temp seems to be 77 degrees
How are your water parameters?

TreeSqueak

The tank is how big?
70 liters is 18 gallons
Oscars need at least a 55 gallon by themselves
Also a lot of filtration
Yeah I know. He has a much bigger tank set up for him to go into once it cycles. (240l)

And the little tank has three large sponge filters, two of which are attached to a pump.

Attachments

• received_5513740118676625.jpeg
    received_5513740118676625.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 6

Luckyfish87

Yeah I know. He has a much bigger tank set up for him to go into once it cycles. (240l)

And the little tank has three large sponge filters, two of which are attached to a pump.
Aw I hope the oscar gets better quickly
That’s awesome

TreeSqueak

The tank is how big?
70 liters is 18 gallons
Oscars need at least a 55 gallon by themselves minimum
Also a lot of filtration
Ideal temp seems to be 77 degrees
How are your water parameters?
Ph of 7.4
Ammonia between 0 and 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
25°c

A201

The holes are most likely sensory pores. If the holes look inflamed or eroded chances are the Osacar is suffering from Hexamita.
IMO, API General Cure is a viable medication for Hex.

TreeSqueak

Question. Does everything from the Oscar's old tank need to be thrown out? Or Is there some way of sanitizing it?

A201

No need to toss out decor, or sterilize the aquarium. Just concentrate on maintaining a clean environment in the aquarium.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
eirynne
Replies
Views
Charlie’s Dad
Replies
Views
Morpheus1967
Replies
Views