Albino fish

Skrabbitskrabbit

What’s up with all the albino fish? I’m wondering how they breed them because I know that in certain wild animals, albinism happens when there is inbreeding. Is this how they get all sorts of albino fish? Was looking at BN plecos and really like the looks of the albino ones and my LFS has TONs of those and lots of other albino whatever you want it seemed. But if they’re all inbred, that could affect which color I end up with..

mimo91088

What’s up with all the albino fish? I’m wondering how they breed them because I know that in certain wild animals, albinism happens when there is inbreeding. Is this how they get all sorts of albino fish? Was looking at BN plecos and really like the looks of the albino ones and my LFS has TONs of those and lots of other albino whatever you want it seemed. But if they’re all inbred, that could affect which color I end up with..
I haven't really worked with albino fish. But if it works the way it does in reptiles which I suspect it does, then albinism is a simple recessive trait which isn't too difficult to breed for. I wouldn't worry too much about inbreeding. That being said it's always a possibility in any strain.

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

I haven't really worked with albino fish. But if it works the way it does in reptiles which I suspect it does, then albinism is a simple recessive trait which isn't too difficult to breed for. I wouldn't worry too much about inbreeding. That being said it's always a possibility in any strain.
Thank you that’s helpful and definitely makes my decision easier. Those little plecos were adorable

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Thank you that’s helpful and definitely makes my decision easier. Those little plecos were adorable
We have an Albino BN pleco in our 29 with 10 tiger barbs 5 guppies 5 albino cory cats and a bunch of mts and ramshorn snails and he/she always lets us know when its zucchini or algae wafer time. Pretty personable fish. Its a heavily planted 29 with a couple good size pieces of DW but noone ever messes with him since day one ( hoping he grows into a him cuz i like the medusa look on them. ... Search kals tanks and videos i did a quick videoof em the day i brought him home. the TB's sniffed and checked him out but have never bothered anyone in the tank. ( except each other... all in good schooling fun of course )

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

We have an Albino BN pleco in our 29 with 10 tiger barbs 5 guppies 5 albino cory cats and a bunch of mts and ramshorn snails and he/she always lets us know when its zucchini or algae wafer time. Pretty personable fish. Its a heavily planted 29 with a couple good size pieces of DW but noone ever messes with him since day one ( hoping he grows into a him cuz i like the medusa look on them. ... Search kals tanks and videos i did a quick videoof em the day i brought him home. the TB's sniffed and checked him out but have never bothered anyone in the tank. ( except each other... all in good schooling fun of course )
Beautiful tanks and love the little guy/gal! I still have a bit of a wait before I add one to my 29 because first I need to increase my school of WCMMs (which are out of stock at my LFS right now)

Upvote 0

chromedome52

Albinism occurs in many species of fish, it is probably the most common mutation in the hobby. It is almost always a recessive trait, meaning both parents have to have an albino gene, even if they are not albino. Plecos are weird because there appear to be two different albino genes, and you can actually breed two albino fish together and get no albinos!

The one species of fish known to have a dominant albino gene is the Common Krib, Pelvicachromis pulcher.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Albino Cory in 10 gallon
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Anders247
  • Question
Replies