Albino dwarf plecos in cold water?

mrpringles

Reaction score
Good day! Is it true that Albino dwarf plecos do fine in waters down to the 50F's? I've read this in a forum about outdoor ponds. I am planning to have one for my "cold" water aka heater-less 75G tank, I live in the tropics so the lowest it will get here is around 60F's (16C). Will the fish be fine at those temps? Thanks!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mrpringles said:
Good day! Is it true that Albino dwarf plecos do fine in waters down to the 50F's? I've read this in a forum about outdoor ponds. I am planning to have one for my "cold" water aka heater-less 75G tank, I live in the tropics so the lowest it will get here is around 60F's (16C). Will the fish be fine at those temps? Thanks!
What exactly is an Albino Dwarf Pleco?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mcasella said:
Albino commons can handle the temp drop that low but it wouldn't work for bns.
I'd dare to take the risk.
The tankwater in my unheated tanks drop to 17/18C in winter.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
I'd dare to take the risk.
The tankwater in my unheated tanks drop to 17/18C in winter.
They can handle it most often, but they don't really like being cold.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
They could HANDLE it, but they wouldn't be exactly thriving
Then that's the answer to the initial question. OP lives in the tropics and the lowest temp is 16C, so that is not the longterm temperature in this case which the BN needs to be thriving.

A funny thing besides this is that there have been a lot.of threads about BN's shouldn't be kept to warm and also a lot of members have stated that fish that are tankbred for a.long time adapt to lower or higher temps than their natural.needs.
A.cf cirrhosus is a mix of species that is tankbred for tens of years and actually not.living in the wild (natural needs ?). Doesn't this count for this fish ?

As said earlier I think we tend to keep fish warmer and warmer on longterm and often exactly that is causing stress, issues and disease.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
78 to 80 is on the higher end of temp recommendations for BN (Still fine). Usually I see 70 to 80 as being ideal, with them being ideal tank mates for fish that like it in the mid 70s. Some even say 77 should be the max for them.

There are those that do keep them as low as 15 degrees (59) at times. I wouldn't recommend it personally though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom