albino danios

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by plecziah, Jul 11, 2015.

1. p

plecziah Valued Member Member

Hey guys 2 questions for yah :p

First : i just added 3x albino danios into my tank with my 2x long finned and 2x regular zebra danios, i thought all three of the albino danios were zebra because that's what i asked for but apparently i just noticed one is actually leopard. The poor little guy is has definitely not been accepted by the zebra danios, from what i have read there are a different breed so will only school together if there are equal amounts of both type z
    ebra and danios. Question should i get an equal amount of the leopard danios now to keep the little guy happy?

Second : I've noticed the 3x albino danios have quite red gills i cant tell if this is just because they are albino so the red is more obvious than on the regular danios? I've tested my water and its come up looking ok (they seem happy swimming around and doing their bussiness apart from the bullied leopard one)

Ammonia = 0-0.25 (somewhere in in-between)
    Nitrate = 5.0
    Nitrite = 0
    PH = 6.4

Cheers :)

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    p

Well im from NZ so its 80L but for you guys i think thats 21gal

4. Dom90

Hmm first of all, I would do something about the low pH. Bacteria can start to die off if the pH is that low. Also, I would return that one fish if you plan on getting other fish in your tank.

5. OP
    OP
    p

Yeah thats what my partner said :( makes me feel bad for the little guy though. How do i go about upping the PH in my tank?

Also i was thinking of getting corydoras for my tank, but now because of this leopard danio i was considering just making the school larger instead of introducing new fish untill i have upgraded my tank. Was just going to get maybe four leopard danios instead. They all look happy and they have plently of room to swim around freely

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  6. Dom90

It's your tank so whatever you decide. For the pH... What substrate are you using?

7. OP
    OP
    p

I would love to tell you, but this is my brother in laws old tank since he upgraded so i just got all the equipment that came with it including some small sized pebble rocks lol. it wasnt in use for many months so he cleaned anything for me.

8. Dom90

Well whatever the case may be, you're gonna want to get a bag of substrate that contains crushed coral or aragonite. It buffers pH real well, like it would in an African cichlid tank, a pH of around 8.

9. OP
    OP
    p

DO you think i will be able to wait until i upgrade in a couple weeks? or will it be best for the fish to do it now?

10. Dom90

I would do it now. If your pH crashed, it would render your bio filter ineffective and you would be going through a mini cycle... Not fun I would say. You could always use the same substrate in new tank. If you plan to get cories later, get sand-based substrate that contains aragonite.

11. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

There's nothing wrong with a pH of 6.4... bacteria grow fine in it.

As for the fish, they're the same species so they should be okay. That one might be a female and the males are chasing it, or they could just be going after it because it's new.

12. OP
    OP
    p

/

Im so confused everyone keeps telling me different things about them being different the leopard and the zebra so im getting myself so confused! They all seem pretty happy no abnormal behaviour apart from chasing the little guy/lady more than usual.

13. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

They're the same species if you just added him it might just take the others a little while to accept him. I wouldn't change anything fish wise for a week or so to see of they relax a little.

I think your ph should be ok, if it starts to nosedive then get crushed coral or limestone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. OP
    OP
    p

Thanks :) that's good to know yeah i wouldn't add any new fish just yet i like to let all the newbies settle in first.
    Ahhh but about the red gills on the albino danios does anyone have any clue are they just more obvious due to them being albino?

15. Bijou88

If everyone else appears healthy I would guess they just show up more because of coloring.

16. Dom90

Aren't red gills an indication of ammonia burns or ...?

17. Bijou88

They are, but I highly doubt a level of 0-.25 would cause them.

18. OP
    OP
    p

Yep and my other danios have slightly red gills but nothing major, and i know danios already have that slight red tinge around their gill area.

19. Dom90

But the OP just got the fish, so maybe toxic ammonia levels at the store? They did mention the tanks in the store were overcrowded.

20. OP
    OP
    p

Yep there was in insane amount of danios and other fish in this one tank :O

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice