Albino Corydoras Staying At Top

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BaseballMom, Mar 16, 2019.

1. BaseballMom

BaseballMomValued MemberMember

Just added 5 albino corydoras today. I know I need 6 but the store only had 6”5 so I’ll add another as soon as I can. I was given to believe they are bottom dwellers but they are hanging out at the very top. Very active, but staying at top. Is that normal?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

They could just be surfing the glass getting used to the tank... I have a small school of albino's and tbh they are always all over the tank top bottom middle...

3. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Even if they are surfing they shouldn’t be doing that much towards the top lest the tank is small, they’re sick, or there’s problems in the chemistry.

What size tank, what are the parameters, what’s the temp, and what other tank mates are there.

4. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Corys definitely dont hang at the top so Id say something is wrong. Platylover already asked, but if you give us the parameters along with temp, tank size and other stock we might be able to help.

5. OP
    OP
    BaseballMom

38 gallon. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0. Ph 6.6-6.8 temp 74. Only 7 glofish tetras and now the 5 Corys in the tank. I’m running a sponge filter as well as an aqueon 30 HOB filter. Tanks been cycled since end of January. Water change 50% was done Thursday since I knew I was adding fish this weekend. I don’t know if you can see them way in the back on top but there they are

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  6. DuaneV

Do you have nitrates? Nothing you posted seems off other than the PH might be a little lower than what theyre used to at the pet shop.

7. OP
    OP
    BaseballMom

I do have nitrates. They were at 40ish before the 50% water change on Thursday now it’s reading between 5-10 for as much as you can rely on the nitrate rest.

8. Platylover

So you didn’t QT them? Where there any ill or deceased fish where you bought them from? Is there any ground cover?

It may just be stress as you said, but it seems a bit odd to me. I’d keep a close eye on them and keep the lights off the tank for now and see if that helps them settle in.

9. OP
    OP
    BaseballMom

I didn’t QT because I literally have no room to put another tank with all the plugs I’d need. Everyone else in the tank they were in seemed fine. I don’t have ground cover, do I need it and what exactly do I need

10. Platylover

Did the fish in the other tanks seem healthy? Cross water contamination can happen and if they were on the same filtration system one tanks issue is all the tanks issue.

Since cories are bottom dwellers they should have some cover and hides on the bottom of the tank to go into and swim through. Gives them more security and promotes more natural behaviour. Some plants on the bottom or a few terricotta pots or driftwood would be a good way to provide some cover for them. Basically anything that just provides a bit of cover will be useful.

11. Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

I knows only a few degrees but my cats are fine at 78. Could it be too cold?

12. Jeffsglo

JeffsgloValued MemberMember

My cory's are at the bottom mostly, but do go to the top every once in a while. They are more sensitive to water parameters also. They are in need of good water. Your ph is low. Try to get it up above 7. And I keep my water at 75DegreesF. If they are scared or if the environment changes too quickly they can get stressed easily. They do like substrate. Smooth rocks or sand. They like hiding places as do most fish.

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

They are simply adapting to their new surroundings.

14. Platylover

Albinos typically do well at lower temps as well, so 75F shouldn’t be an issue unless they weren’t acclimated properly.
    Do yours typically swim predominantly at the top of the tank when they’re first introduced? Mine generally do not and while they swim the perimeter of the housing, they don’t stay at the top to much.

15. DuaneV

Ive never dropped any Corys into a new tank and had them NOT shoot right down to the bottom. Seems very odd to me.

16. DoubleDutch

Yes they do and strangely certainly alinos do so. It is kind of stressreduction and a Scottish cory-expert told me it also has to do with balancing there swimbladder to new conditions.

17. Platylover

Huh, never heard of this nor experienced, but then again I haven’t had albinos in a few years. Well, that’s a relief then, glad these cories are likely healthy and just adapting!

18. DoubleDutch

To be honest the strange thing is I've heard (and seen it in several occassions) albinos doing this in a later stage as well. Don't know exactly why and the normal bronze never do. Looks like a kind of playing then hahaha. Mine don't like to play that way.

19. Platylover

That is so weird! I do recall my albino being a bit crazy (was the type to randomly go up to the top and back down within 5s), but looking back I always assumed that to be because the tank was unproper. She was still the weirdest out of all the cories though...

Lol, yours must be proper cories and don’t wish to dable in such silly antics. XD