Albino Corydoras Spawn Log

nitebird27

I finally saved the eggs in time from being eaten!! The first time (that I have seen) they spawned, it was the moment I was walking out the door to my uber to catch a plane. As in, there were no eggs, I walked out of then back into the room, then there were eggs. Needless to say, they were goners.

This time was different! I saw them, got them out of the tank, and then into a small plastic container with a lid. I unfortunately didn't add an air stone until the next day so the bulk of the eggs molded. But I saved several, and I was able to add some methylene blue. In the end, 8 out of about 50-60 eggs hatched.

Today, one week later, the fry are happily living in a 2 quart measuring cup inside the tank with an air stone, water changes, and food. They've absorbed the yolk sack. I've got to say that this is one of the most satisfying parts of aquarium ownership so far. I get such joy from watching the fry zoom around. I hope this is the first of many spawns! Will update this log as their little lives move forward :)

Potential parents (4 other culprits...)

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2695.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

IMG_2742.jpeg

DoubleDutch

Congrats !!! Raising Coryfry is great.

nitebird27

New box for the fry

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

The cories spawned again!! I think I know how to get them to do it now. I only saved a few of them because I don't want to be overrun.

IMG_2756.jpeg

nitebird27

Update: The last spawn had about 30 hatchlings but unfortunately they all died. I don't know what went wrong, but I will be doing more research into fry care to prevent that from happening again.

The fry are growing nicely! My microworm culture is up and going and they really love this food. They like frozen BBS as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2774 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2774 (1).jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 3

Yeoy

I'm glad it isn't just me who has their fish lay eggs as they're literally walking out the door. Suspiciously often....

Flyfisha

Hey nitebird27 .
I would like to make a suggestion that at first glance may go against everything that you are trying to do?

I see the breeding box from post #3 on the 23 of January. My suggestion is that container is so clean it has no natural foods. While I believe you need to change water more than once a week that container could have old moss old sand old ornaments and old plant material as well as lots of algae growng on the sides of the tank/ container.All of which increase the changes of Infusorea and other micro creatures establishing .The fry breeding box is a bit small to establish much n the way of Infusorea. So perhaps adding handfuls of plant material and swapping them out every few days ? Or using a bigger container sooner.? Now this makes removing uneaten food very difficult meaning YOU have to limit the waste food you add. Micro worms will live a few hours n fresh water so as long as you are not adding more than can be eaten in say 6 hours that is not an isue.

In short.
Could it have been not enough food?
Or to much ?

nitebird27

Hey nitebird27 .
I would like to make a suggestion that at first glance may go against everything that you are trying to do?

I see the breeding box from post #3 on the 23 of January. My suggestion is that container is so clean it has no natural foods. While I believe you need to change water more than once a week that container could have old moss old sand old ornaments and old plant material as well as lots of algae growng on the sides of the tank/ container.All of which increase the changes of Infusorea and other micro creatures establishing .The fry breeding box is a bit small to establish much n the way of Infusorea. So perhaps adding handfuls of plant material and swapping them out every few days ? Or using a bigger container sooner.? Now this makes removing uneaten food very difficult meaning YOU have to limit the waste food you add. Micro worms will live a few hours n fresh water so as long as you are not adding more than can be eaten in say 6 hours that is not an isue.

In short.
Could it have been not enough food?
Or to much ?
Thank you for the advice! I have been putting plant matter from the tank into the box and changing it if it gets too dirty.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ErikaCA
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
JimSinclair
Replies
Views