Albino Cory

1. Manuel1223

Manuel1223 Valued Member Member

Looking to put albino cory in my tank once cycled. I have 3 red eye tetras and 4 black mollys.
    I'm running a 30 gal and want these next. But i have black gravel substrate. Any advice on what to do or other recommendations?

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Could you please place a pic of the gravel?

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

As long as the gravel is smooth and rounded, corys should be ok. I'd add around 8-10. You could also mix in bronze corys as they are the same species as the albino.

However, I would add at least 3 more red eye tetras first to complete your school.

4. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Cories like to be in groups 6+ and the tetras like to be in groups 6+ also.

5. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

You are actually super understocked. I would do:
    4 Mollies
    8 Red Eye Tetras
    10 Albino Corydoras
    That will fill your tank up nicely. As long as the gravel is smooth it will be fine with Corys.

6. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

20170723_162409.jpg

Not sure if you can tell but here it is. Also shouldn't i wait u til my tank is cycled to add more or are you guys saying add these before my tank is done cycling?

20170723_162409.jpg

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

8. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

20170723_162409.jpg
    What do you think?

9. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

That stinks.... well how difficult is it to swap substrate? Or can i lay something on top?

10. el337

Yes, definitely wait to add fish after you're cycled.

It's easy swapping to sand if you want bottom dwellers. I just took out all decor/plants and placed them in a bucket. You can remove the fish and place them in a separate bucket as well but I left mine in the tank and kept 1/4 of the water in. Took a dustpan and removed my old substrate and then added my new one after rinsing it.

11. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Isnt sand a pain when filtering the bottom or cleaning? Man its like a lose lose. Unless i did smooth bebbles?

12. el337

You mean vacuuming? Not at all. IMO, it's easier to clean than gravel since all the debris/detritus sits right on top. You take your siphon and swirl it a couple of inches above the sand and everything gets sucked right up. No need to push the siphon into the sand.

Cories and other bottom dwellers like loaches are much happier on sand.

13. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Okay you've been a great help. Thank you! I think once the take is cycled i will swap it. It wont mess up and levels in the tank?

14. el337

Most of the bacteria resides in your filter media. There may be a little in your substrate but not enough to cause you to lose your cycle.

15. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Okay perfect. Probably better now than later.

16. goplecos

I would place about a centimeter of sand on top, since that would be the easiest to do. That would also be the easiest to clean. And yes wait till the tank is cycled to add more fish.

17. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

I can put it on top of my current gravel?? That would be awesome

18. goplecos

Yes you can. I would double check with @DoubleDutch though to make sure that's OK for the Corys. I don't see why that wouldn't be OK though.

19. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Im new to the app lol how do i do that?

20. goplecos

He's already on this thread so just wait for him to respond.