Albino Cory Surprise...

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Eve_ill, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Eve_ill

Eve_ill New Member Member

Hi all,
    Looking for help. I woke up this morning to finding some eggs deposited on the sides of my 5g that holds 2 corys. I have not been attempting to breed them, so this is a total surprise. They are simply being held in a 5g until my other 10g cycles. I think I triggered them because the other night I did a 20 percent WC and (accidentally) put in water that was a little cooler.
    My question is, have these eggs even been fertilized? I read that fertilized eggs are beige to brown in color. These are white, with a grayish color spot in the middle. I'd like more insight as to if this is even true.
    Thanks to all who respond!

Melissa

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

3. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

EGGS WHEN GOOD WILL BE AN AMBER TO GOLD COLOR. They may be white at first then turh darker but usually if they are white they are infertile sorry to say.

4. OP
    OP
    Eve_ill

Thanks Lucy! you're always there for me! I've only posted several times here, but you have helped me with each one. I remember this past winter when I had an emergency with my prized Endlers, you were there for me. BTW, the Endlers are now doing well, (They are now happily living in my 55g) and I have not lost any. I transferred them about a month ago, and have 4 ghost shrimp with them, probably about 20 Endlers! I'm taking some to my local LFS to sell; there are way too many in there. I'm going to separate males from females with a tank divider this week.
    Speaking of the shrimp, I also "accidentally" bred those guys too! it was about a month ago I saw the tiniest little things darting around, and thought I was just seeing things. Of course I looked closer and saw they were mini versions of the adults. I did some reading, and found that these guys might be moderately challenging to breed intentionally, so I was a little surprised that this happened.
    As for the corys, I'm guessing that those eggs are infertile. But-at least now I know what to look for and what to do if I decide that I do want to breed them someday!

5. OP
    OP
    Eve_ill

Yeah, thats what I thought after more research. They weren't there yesterday, so could there be a small chance? You said they're white only at first right? So if they're like that tomorrow then its fair to say that they are no good?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  6. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

I always give em a day to be sure. Thats all I breed really are cories 38 type and there cousins.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) Hope you two don't mind, I fixed your quotes.

Good luck with your eggs Eve. Cory fry are super cute!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice