10 Gallon Tank Albino Cory in 10 gallon

Dippiedee

Backstory; I have a 10 gallon tank that I set up and cycled so I could get a betta. I also have a 55 gallon tank with;
- 2 pictus cats
- 5 harley quinn rasbora
- 2 female german blue rams
- 1 bristlenose pleco
- 1 clown pleco
- 3 leopard danios
- 1 rainbow shark
There is also a couple of guppies in there which were intended as feeders for the pictus but the pictus has shown no interest in them at all so I guess I just have a couple of guppies too?

The 55 gallon has 2 filters; an oase external filter/heater which I replaced 2 of the sponge filters with media, and a internal filter I'm not 100% what it is; it came with the tank.

The 10 gallon has a fluval u1 and internal heater. Both have plastic plants (I'm waiting on a delivery of live plants for the betta tank) moss balls and decorations in them. The 55 has quite a lot of hiding places. I do weekly gravel vacuum and water changes on both tanks (about 25%)

So, cutting to the chase; when shopping for fish for my 55 gallon I discovered bettas and fell in love immediately, so I set up a 10 gallon and cycled it and 3 weeks later went out to get a betta. I happened to see albino Cory's when betta shopping and fell victim to the impulse buy bug because they're adorable. In the tank in the shop the albino Cory's were all sat around on the bottom minding their own buisness so I assumed they were a bottom feeder like a pleco... which of course they arent. After bringing 1 albino cory and my betta home I did some research and found out the cory is a schooling fish. Can I put enough albino Cory's in the 10 gallon to keep them happy? If not, I guess keeping a few albino Cory's in the 55 gallon is an option but I'm a little worried about the pictus giving them a hard time? Although neither pictus have shown any aggression to any of the other fish in the tank. (The bristlenose on the other hand!)

If the Cory's are no good for the 10 gallon, is there anything else I can keep in with the betta to pick up any left over food on the gravel?

Ghelfaire

Pygmy corydoras would be better. They stay smaller and you can keep a school of 6 in a 10g.

Dippiedee

Ghelfaire said:
Pygmy corydoras would be better. They stay smaller and you can keep a school of 6 in a 10g.
Ok great, I really like corydoras so I'm glad theres a type I can keep in there. What shall I do with my albino; would putting him in the 55g with a few more of his kind be okay do you think?

Ghelfaire

You seem to have a lot of bottom dwellers in there already. I would rehome it.

Dippiedee

Ghelfaire said:
You seem to have a lot of bottom dwellers in there already. I would rehome it.
I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for you replied

DoubleDutch

Ghelfaire said:
Had any luck with smaller ones in a 10G?
C.pygmaeus is a midwaterdweller btw.

I wouldn't keep any Cory in a 10G and a big shoal (albinos and bronze).in a 55G

Top Bottom