Albino Cory Glass Surfing Question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by JJBriant, Mar 19, 2019.

1. JJBriant

JJBriantValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello, I was just curious about something. So I have had these 4 albino Cory catfish for a couple months now and they spend a lot of time going back and forth along the glass and up and Down it. I was wondering if this is normal behavior for them

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,173
    Experience:
    2 years
    i have 4 in my 10 gallon ( going to add 2 more soon ) and they did that for the first week or 2 but have since settled down and have resorted to doing their thing in the sand. its always reccomended to have at least 6 corys so aybe adding a couple more will get them more comfortable in their tank. Do you know all your water parameters? what else do you have in there with them? what size tank are they in?

3. OP
    OP
    JJBriant

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    PH 7.4 Ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate like 10-20ppm. That was before I did my water change this morning. It’s a 29 gallon aquarium. Other inhabitants are 10 neon tetras, 1 Bolivian ram, one mystery snail and one nerite snail. I have them on a mix of this specialty plant growing substrate from Petsmart that is kind of like really small gravel sized pieces and then a thin layer of sand on top. Everyone seems to get along great and mind there own business . They just glass surf alot

4. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,173
    Experience:
    2 years
    Sounds like you have room for another 2-4 and i think they will settle down with a bigger school/shoal to hang together with.

5. napa15rt

napa15rtValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +77
    Experience:
    Just started
    No glass surfing here. Have 4 juli catfish in a 10 gallon. They mainly search in the gravel. But one thing they do every once in a while is fly up to the top and then back down at light speed like they are agitated. But they look healthy and seem happy otherwise.

6. OP
    OP
    JJBriant

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah I’ve been planning on getting a couple more. I just upgraded them to the 29 gallon like 3 days ago so I don’t want to over work the system yet. I’ll let it establish for a few weeks and then add some more fish.

Okay! Mine look healthy and eat normally and everything. They just glass surf a lot. I will see if adding a couple more helps

7. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,173
    Experience:
    2 years
    Corys like to blast up to the top to grab a breath of fresh air every now n then. I don't know all the science behind it but i know they do. I have 6 good size peppers that do it occasionally. and they like to do it when i'm standing there checking everyone out so i get a lil raindrop of tank water