Albino Cory Died. Ammonia Level .25 Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Cander, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Cander

Cander Valued Member Member

Hey everyone im confused...I lost my albino Cory today my ammonia is .25 maybe a little less 20 nitrates 0 nitrites

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Why is your ammonia present? Are you not cycled?
    Albino, and some other cory can be invincible in good conditions, and some are known to survive harsh conditions.

Just because I said that doesn't mean nothing can kill them, it's just how they are sometimes.
    My albinos went through a spike of nitrites when my filter stopped overnight, and I didn't realize it.

3. OP
    OP
    Cander

The ammonia had been stable like that for 2-3 weeks there is still nitrates being produced

All my other fish have bright colors. When I got my danios they had dull strips now they are very colorful

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Well, that explains your cory death.
    You didn't confirm whether you were cycled or not.

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

In order to be cycled, you should be seeing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate. Just because you're seeing nitrate doesn't mean you're cycled.

Cories, IMO, tend to be pretty delicate when it comes to water parameters. Any ammonia or nitrite in the water seems to stress them pretty quickly, when compared to other popular fish. With .25 PPM ammonia for 2-3 weeks, it probably slowly succumbed to ammonia poisoning. I'd get that ammonia down ASAP.

If you're having a consistent ammonia reading, it sounds like its one of a few things:

1). Your tank never got to finish it's cycle, and is now doing so quite slowly.
    2). You don't have enough filter media for BB to grow on.
    3). You're overstocked.
    4). Your water source (tap, or well) has ammonia in it.

Can we get your tank size and your stocking? As well as your filtering situation and what ever media you have in it?

I'd go ahead and run an ammonia test on your water source as well.

6. OP
    OP
    Cander

The tank is a 30 gallon tall octagon 2 mollies 2 guppies 6 danios. Few fry 1 Cory and 3 shrimp

The filter is a Emperor 280 with bio wheel and with a filter cartridge and a bio box thing

I’m not sure what u call it

I just did an ammonia test on my tap water and it looks like there is a little bit of ammonia in it. What do I do about this

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice