Albino Cory cat very passive

severage

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had my new albino Cory cat, and general Sherman, and for 2 days now, and but he rarely moves. I got him with another regular Cory cat who has been doing well in the new tank. He's moving around and happy with the other fish. Sherman however just sits on the gravel for hours at a time not moving. He does occasionally, move around all hyper, but I don't know why he is so passive. Please help.

brodylane1122

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cory cats need to be in groups of 5 or more to be more active. By themselves, they get scared easy and tend to hide away. Even in groups they will go long periods of time without moving followed by moments of sporadic hyperactive swimming.

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok for starters you should definietly read about the nitrogen cycle. This is imperative to know about for fishkeeping. Second, what size tank are the cories in and what other fish are in the tank? Cories should be in groups of 6 or more of their own kind so 6 albino cories and 6 of the other kind of cory. You can go down to like 4 or 5 fish per school but the more the better if possible. Cories require at least a 20 gallon tank unless they are pygmy cories which the albino is not. If possible we need to know the water parameters of your tank and everything about it you know. This will all help us to help you and your fish. One thing to consider with cories however is they are nocturnal, so they will be more active at night and will hide in the day (if they have hiding places which they should). Cories are very active and fun fish if you have them in a big enough tank and in a big enough school. I definitely recommend keeping them but you will only see their playful and fun nature if you keep them properly and this site will help you to be able to do that.

severage

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a 10 gallon tank. However, will the different types of cories mix Together?

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi and welcome

Okay, that tank is too small for those fish for a start, cory catfish need to be in groups of 5 or 6 minimum to feel safe and happy, different types of corries for the most part can mix happily but you really need to either get a larger tank or return those fish and rethink your options. Is your tank cycled? Do you understand the nitrogen cycle? If not please click on the link and read up about it, it is very important in keeping fish.

Nice to meet you!

severage

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So they can intermix? Would 2 more of each type suffice? And I can get an larger tank.

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have found that cories will mix if forced but they certainly prefer to be in groups of their own kind. I would get a 20 or 30 gallon tank and bigger and for the 20 keep at least 5 or 6 of the type you like more or you can get the 30 gallon and keep 5 or 6 of each along with other fish for each tank. Cories need bigger tanks because they produce quite a bit more waste that most fish their length because they aren't really slender like tetras and the like. They need to eat more and therefore produce more waste. Also they stay on the bottom only so they need more 'floorspace' to move around on.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom