Albino catfish vs. ordinary one

janhvizdak

Reaction score
HI guys,

I introduced some albino catfish males (ancistrus cirrhosus) into a tank with "classic" catfish. Since they've bred in that tank for years, I wonder which colour will the newborns have. Does it depend on female only? Any experience? I bought albinos because I thought there were at least 1 female... After I realised there are males only, I lost chances to "make" new albinos by breeding them .

....Yeah, I already had an albino catfish which had non-albino parents, but he/she died . Just a thought....

TY for suggestions.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It really depends on what the parents color genes are. My original Ancistrus sp.(3) (bristlenose) were both brown but both carried the long fin and albino genes. So in each batch of fry O got some long fin brown, some long fin albino, some albino short fin and some brown short fins.
Now I have seperated all the albino long fins and am waiting until they get old enough to breed.
carol

OP
J

janhvizdak

Reaction score
Thanks Carol. Is ther any bigger chance to get albinos than when breeding non-albinos only?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you breed albino with albino you will get more albinos of course but if they have any brown anywhere back in their back ground you may get a throw back occasionally.
Carol

New Threads