Albino Bristlenose Pleco

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! Just yesterday, I picked up two Bristlenose Plecos--one albino. They're very tiny! They're like a little over an inch long, so cute. Anyways, the lady that helped me has helped me a couple times before, not much though. But right after she put the albino pleco in the bag to take home, she says "There's a warranty so don't worry about it, but I would keep an eye on this albino one. Yesterday I seen that a few of the albinos had something on them, but I don't know what. This one looks fine though!". Of course I probably shouldn't have bought it, I probably should've told her to put it back.. But her carelessness led me to believe they don't even try to help these fish if they get sick. So I wanted to try, if there's something wrong. ALTHOUGH--there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. It swims around normally (obviously mostly sucking on the glass though), eats algae pellets, and doesn't have any physical implications that there is something amiss! I just wanna ask though, because I've never owned an albino pleco, so I may be wrong!
In the pictures he's eating algae off the substrate. These are the best pictures I've taken so far, but if you need a better view, please let me know and I'll try my best to get better pictures. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
20180506_191253.jpg
20180506_191250.jpg
20180506_191245.jpg
20180506_191242.jpg

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If your BN is male, he might not like what looks like rough gravel - can hurt their barbs I've been told. We have 2 normal in one tank and the one albino in the other. Both have small round river stones/gravel, and the main tank actually has some sand (which they seem to love - but was bought for the Kuhli loaches). Our albino has been through our fish-in cycle and has moved tanks, so I can't see why it would be tough.

Has your tank cycled?

-G

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What part of the pleco looks wrong? Their nose?
Well if you read carefully, I had said that the lady who put the fish in the bag for me said the other plecos in the tank looked like they had "something" on them, but didn't know what. But she also said the one she gave me looks fine. I don't trust her word, so I'm asking--does it look like there is anything wrong with this pleco??

If your BN is male, he might not like what looks like rough gravel - can hurt their barbs I've been told. We have 2 normal in one tank and the one albino in the other. Both have small round river stones/gravel, and the main tank actually has some sand (which they seem to love - but was bought for the Kuhli loaches). Our albino has been through our fish-in cycle and has moved tanks, so I can't see why it would be tough.

Has your tank cycled?

-G
It has been in there for not even 24 hours. I'm not asking if my substrate is hurting. Gosh, did you people even read my post? I'm asking--does it look like there is anything PHYSICALLY wrong with it? Like did I buy a sick pleco? If you read my post thoroughly it would probably make sense...

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well if you read carefully, I had said that the lady who put the fish in the bag for me said the other plecos in the tank looked like they had "something" on them, but didn't know what. But she also said the one she gave me looks fine. I don't trust her word, so I'm asking--does it look like there is anything wrong with this pleco??
I understand what you’re saying, it’s just I can’t see what’s wrong in the pleco pictures. I’ve had a mature male and female pair before so that’s why I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary in those pictures. I was wondering if you were referring to the hair that’s growing on their noses, hence their name

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I understand what you’re saying, it’s just I can’t see what’s wrong in the pleco pictures. I’ve had a mature male and female pair before so that’s why I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary in those pictures. I was wondering if you were referring to the hair that’s growing on their noses, hence their name
You answered my question, thank you. I was just wondering if you could see anything wrong with it. To which you just replied "I can't see anything wrong with it". I just wanted someone to say "Nope! Doest look like there's anything wrong with him!" Sorry.. I just don't see how my question is confusing...

Yip read it completely. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary; was just adding some additional tips.

-G
Sorry.. thank you for your advice, I should probably decide on a smoother substrate.

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You answered my question, thank you. I was just wondering if you could see anything wrong with it. To which you just replied "I can't see anything wrong with it". I just wanted someone to say "Nope! Doest look like there's anything wrong with him!" Sorry.. I just don't see how my question is confusing...
No problem, the babies don’t have any bristles when they are born. Females don’t have much bristles compared to the males, the bristles on males grow much longer and wilder. I bought two random albino bristlenose plecos over a year ago and I was lucky to end with a pair that actually bred without me noticing. I ended up with over 50 babies, though only a couple dozen survived long for me to sell them to the LFS

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to both of you, I had a long day and I kinda took it out on this post.. I apologize. Yes, my tank is fully cycled, has been for I believe 3, almost 4 months now. There isn't anything I'm worried about, but is there anything I should look for? Just because I'm really worried about the fish store lady telling me his tank mates had something on them. Do you think she might have meant ich?

No problem, the babies don’t have any bristles when they are born. Females don’t have much bristles compared to the males, the bristles on males grow much longer and wilder. I bought two random albino bristlenose plecos over a year ago and I was lucky to end with a pair that actually bred without me noticing. I ended up with over 50 babies, though only a couple dozen survived long for me to sell them to the LFS
Wow omg! That's amazing! Just an odd question to add: can regular BN plecos and albino BN plecos mate?

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow omg! That's amazing! Just an odd question to add: can regular BN plecos and albino BN plecos mate?
I believe they can, they are just different color varieties of the same species. As for ick, that might be possible but I never encountered this issue before so I can’t help you there

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe they can, they are just different color varieties of the same species. As for ick, that might be possible but I never encountered this issue before so I can’t help you there
Wow that would be cool! And okay thank you for the response anyhow!

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow that would be cool! And okay thank you for the response anyhow!
I’m not sure about the regular bristlenose pleco, but albino bristlenose plecos develop a pink patch on their head that indicates they are ready to breed. Both plecos had this patch and is how I found out they had bred, the male guards the eggs until they hatched. Long story short, I thought my male disappeared so I took out all the decor till I found him and the surprises in one of the decors

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m not sure about the regular bristlenose pleco, but albino bristlenose plecos develop a pink patch on their head that indicates they are ready to breed. Both plecos had this patch and is how I found out they had bred, the male guards the eggs until they hatched. Long story short, I thought my male disappeared so I took out all the decor till I found him and the surprises in one of the decors
And if you know, at what size or age do they become sexually mature? Cuz these ones are so tiny! I didn't think they were old enough to breed yet

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My two standard BN are about 4 inches long, and he chases her all over... but she doesn't appear interested whatsoever - he does like his cave though... somehow a small stone got right inside the back, no other fish could get that far in...so wonder if he did that...

-G

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
And if you know, at what size or age do they become sexually mature? Cuz these ones are so tiny! I didn't think they were old enough to breed yet
Albinos don’t grow as big as the regular bristlenose plecos do, mine were around 3 inches or so. It didn’t take them long to reach that size as I fed them an algae wafer each every other day while I had them. Also, they love driftwood so I recommend getting some and boiling it before placing it in the tank for them

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Albinos can get as big as brown colored bns, I have seen several that were 6" or better, the lady may have meant something like ich or fungus on the others, I cannot see anything visibly wrong with it that would indicate disease, however since you just got him keep an eye out for ich.
Males normally start to get bristles around 2.5 inches, light colored males (males only) display the red on the head when they are wanting to breed, so a male with one or two females will display it all the time (females will never display it).
supplement their diet with fresh veggies (zucchini, cucumber, and peppers) and sometimes fruits, giving them only algae wafers or expecting them to just eat algae limits their growing capabilities though some from the same spawn may top out at different lengths (I had sibling albino females that topped out at 3 and 5 inches when I sold them).
As long as you keep up with their dietary needs they do not need driftwood, however they will use it as a hiding place and rasp microorganisms off the surface of it.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Albinos can get as big as brown colored bns, I have seen several that were 6" or better, the lady may have meant something like ich or fungus on the others, I cannot see anything visibly wrong with it that would indicate disease, however since you just got him keep an eye out for ich.
Males normally start to get bristles around 2.5 inches, light colored males (males only) display the red on the head when they are wanting to breed, so a male with one or two females will display it all the time (females will never display it).
supplement their diet with fresh veggies (zucchini, cucumber, and peppers) and sometimes fruits, giving them only algae wafers or expecting them to just eat algae limits their growing capabilities though some from the same spawn may top out at different lengths (I had sibling albino females that topped out at 3 and 5 inches when I sold them).
As long as you keep up with their dietary needs they do not need driftwood, however they will use it as a hiding place and rasp microorganisms off the surface of it.
Thank you so much. All of this was 100% what I was looking for, AND a little extra lol. I've been trying to figure out which veggies are best to give them, so thank you! But peppers?! No way! What kind of peppers? And what kind of fruits have you fed yours? I really want to provide these plecos, and really all of my fish, a good, healthy, variety of food, so this really interests me

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sweet peppers !!! BTW don't forget they are omnivores and need some protein to grow as well (bloodworms, brineshrimp, etc)

Thank you so much. All of this was 100% what I was looking for, AND a little extra lol. I've been trying to figure out which veggies are best to give them, so thank you! But peppers?! No way! What kind of peppers? And what kind of fruits have you fed yours? I really want to provide these plecos, and really all of my fish, a good, healthy, variety of food, so this really interests me

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom