Albino Bichir

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm still stuck on the Albino Bichir. Like an african fresh water version of an attack eel. I have a new 55 g gonna start cycling this weekend. Plan is to get african cichilds, a small pleco (like rubber lip pleco), and that bichir. Not sure if the bichir would be too big for that?

I've been obsesed with them since I saw one at a little pet shop. Seems like they are rare cause I don't see much info on them.

Any experts?

;D

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Awesome links! Looks like they get big around 12inches. Looks like it's hit and miss with compatibility. On one of those links, there was an anticdote of a guy whose bichir got out of the tank (they have a lung for breathing air) and managed to defend itself from the family cat long enough for the owner to intervine!!!!

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
btw in my user info box it says I have 0 messages when if fact I have a couple :-\

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
something similiar happened to me and it went away after a while, sorry but can't help you. I'm with you on this one bichirs are awesome, i want one so bad but 12" sounds large but since they are so long and skinny they need a minimum of a thirty gallon tank so a 55 would work great but I think a fairly good rule is as long as the fish can't fit in it's mouth or can defend itself then it's ok for a tankmate. I don't think they are that rare but more just not very popular fish. Maybe instead of african cichlids you could get another few large fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom