Albino arowana eaten

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RTC will eat all but gourami and pleco depending on size and how long he gets to size them up IMO...
He should go ..As mentioned there other interesting fish ..You have south american cichlids with a true monster fish ?? Thinking of a future for them is optimistic IMO with him in the same tank ..

Highback

Reaction score
I have made the decision to keep the red tail he is separated for now in his own 75gl and will be moving him to larger tanks as he grows I Was not planning on anything bigger then about 500 gallons in my home. But I guess It gives me and excuse to build a monster now woooohooo!!! Lol a large indoor pond or aquarium. I do not have the heart to return him and I did make the decision to purchase him. Will be looking for input on design and build I will post in its own thread once I get it going.

jmarcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Highback said:
I have made the decision to keep the red tail he is separated for now in his own 75gl and will be moving him to larger tanks as he grows I Was not planning on anything bigger then about 500 gallons in my home. But I guess It gives me and excuse to build a monster now woooohooo!!! Lol a large indoor pond or aquarium. I do not have the heart to return him and I did make the decision to purchase him. Will be looking for input on design and build I will post in its own thread once I get it going.
While I understand you like the little guy, I got taught a lesson when I did the same thing. I had some very small cichlids in a 3 ft tank thinking that I'll grow them out and get a bigger tank in the next couple of months. One month in, I fell off a ladder when helping someone out and destroyed my knee plus broke my leg. It took over a year before I got surgery and had to pay people and sometimes asked friends to do water changes.

Guy25

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Real sorry about this. Yea after I watched the King Of DIY's experience keeping his red tail, I settled to never get one...they just get way to big. If i recall correctly he eventually had a pond built for it or released it in a friends pond as their size is hard to adequately meet in a home aquarium.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Highback said:
So you build a way larger then planned tank for the red tail ..All that for one fish ??
We don't really think they get more friendly towards other fish when 3 feet long do we ??
1 huge tank for 1 mean fish ?? Not exactly how I enjoy my 1,000g plus of fish tanks but as long as you understand it is your choice to make ..
Understand the longer you keep it the harder and I mean harder it will be to re home ..

Highback

Reaction score
Yes it is not how I like my 1000g tanks either but there is no really other option if I return to store it is destined for death It was my first time at the store it will also be my last and nobody I know can accommodate such a fish. Also he is growing on me a bit even tho he ate my 350$ albino arowana which was my own fault.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Realistically, whether or not you return it to the store the fish is destined for death; its fate was sealed the moment it became caught in the net in its native river. You state that you don't know anyone who can accommodate it...but neither can you. It's all well and good to plan on building a monster tank for it, but how big can you go? 500 gallons? 1000 gallons? A fish like this will be too large for even 1000 gallons within a couple or a few years. The normal progression is for a huge aquarium fish to live and grow well for awhile; as it gains size it overloads its environment with ammonia and other toxins which will cause a decline in its growth (stunting) and eventually stress and compromise its immune system sufficiently for some infection or other disease to finally kill it.

The old adage about a fish only growing as big as the tank allows is absolutely true...but that's because the fish simply dies an early death. The aquarist labours to change water in large quantities and can stave off this outcome for awhile, but eventually laziness or disillusionment or simply the impossibility of such water changes causes a glitch; the time between changes stretches out, the water quality deteriorates at an astronomical rate with such a massive bioload, and even water changes become stressful for the fish because of the constant abrupt seesawing of water parameters, from good to bad over and over again. A magnificent creature that should have a natural lifespan of dozens of years ends up dead within a small fraction of that time.

Please don't even suggest that you will create some high-tech filtration system which will alleviate these problems. Creating this for a tank with a normal bioload is probably doable; but a tank housing a single massive fish with a prodigious appetite, a mass measured in tens of pounds and a bioload to match? Forget it.

I'm not singling you out for special abuse here; I went through the "Monster Fish Mania" myself many years ago, and followed along as many friends and acquaintances did also. Merely big fish, like cichlids? Child's play! But Redtails or Arapaimas or Sturgeons or the other true monsters that continue to be irresponsibly sold (and, sadly, purchased) in the trade? A recipe for inevitable disaster.

jmarcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Highback said:
I’m expecting about 1-2 feet in about 8 months to a year how far off am I ?
Please don't think we are picking on you but just trying to give you some advise and warnings. Try contacting the fish rescue guy that you have in the States. I know you will lose the money but you will either way because the fish will die, the amount of work keeping up with maintenance will be crazy and imagine feeding something that size, would be expensive

Honestly I would contact that guy and get something like a puffer. Great personality and unique fish

Also a lot of people I know keep arowana and stingrays together.

At least you don't live in Australia. Arowana starts at $2500 :dead:

Highback

Reaction score
no I don’t think any body picking on me I appreciate all advice everyone has given and you are 100% right about the expense and maintenance. I was going for an arowana and stingray tank to begin with but got side tracked by this monster.

Highback

Reaction score
I’ll try and post pictures during the weekend of the RTC and my other fish And if I have the time I’ll be setting up a 120G so I’ll post pics of that as well

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The large tank at the National Aquarium in Washington, D.C., had Red Tail Cats, Arapaima, and several Pacus. The aquarium at the Milwaukee Zoo had RTC, many Oscars, Amazonian Turtles, 3+ ft. Pacus, and regular Arowanas. I believe they were 15-20 thousand gallons each. The one in Milwaukee was deeper than most swimming pools.

I did see a person who kept a large Tiretrack Eel with his RTC. He said the cat tried to eat it once, spit it out and never even touched it again. Mastacembalids apparently have a very bad taste.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom