Albino Angelfish Acting Weird

1. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

So I bought an angel about 2 weeks ago, and it's acting sickly. He's not eating very much, not responding when I put my finger right next to him, and not swimming very much. He doesn't look sick besides those symptoms though. Can't see any indications of it having a parasite. I'll post a picture of him.

Here’s a picture

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Anyone? It's hiding in the corner. I just did a 40% water change and it perked up a little, and then went right back to hiding.

3. MommaLake

MommaLake Well Known Member Member

Hi, I’m sorry this is the first response you’ve gotten.

Just a couple questions to start ruling things out...
    Can you list your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
    What size tank and type/size filter?
    What tank mates if any?
    Also, is your tank cycled, how long have you had the tank running?
    Oh and did you declorinate the water (use water conditioner)?

4. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

Further to the questions listed above, what is the temperature of the water.

5. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10-15 nitrate. 40 gallons, a cascade 700 canister filter, and a marine land bio wheel 200, it’s cycled and a little over a year, and yes I dechlorinate the water. And tank mates 3 other angelfish, 1 dwarf gourami, 2 mollies, 6 bronze cories, a clown pleco, and 5 nerite snails. The 4 Angelfish In the tank are just growing out until they can go into my 135. I need to swap them soon though. I have an extremely aggressive pair in my 135 at the moment that killed my other pair. I didn’t know the aggressive one were even a pair. I’m starting to suspect bullying because every time on of the other angels come near him he hides. And he’s not eating now.

78 degrees

6. MommaLake

Ok yeah, your water seems perfect so I’m guessing bullying also. I mean if he’s new there’s a chance he could be sick but if it’s just that he’s hiding and seems stressed...

7. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

Based on your answers, I would consider Bullying being the problem with this particular angel.

8. MommaLake

I have angels too. Right now I have 6 in a 135 gal. But I may need to move my two smallest. My big ones are bullies but they don’t do damage. So your new angel sounds like my newest one.
    It could be that you could add some plants to break up line of sight and give them time.
    But a 40 might just be too small for them. Of course it is long term but I get it when you want to put some size on them before putting them in the big tank.

9. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ya, I’m gonna try switching them around. Putting the four into the 135 and putting the 2 aggressive angels into the 40. I have the stockings already worked out for these tanks and that’s what I was going to anyway, so might as well do it early lol.

My final stocking for the 135 is going to be 6 angels, 1 Electric blue acara, 1 threadfin acara, 10 Congo tetras, 10 sterbai cories, and a gold nugget pleco.

10. MommaLake

I love electric blue acaras. My second 135 gal has a gold severum and 7 EBAs. I’ve never kept threadfin acara but they are really beautiful too

11. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ok, the angelfish still isn't eating. It doesn't look any skinnier of bigger than it was, but it's a bit more active, but still not eating.

12. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

13. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

I've tried frozen, and live bbs.

14. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

I just fed some more bbs to see if she would eat, she still didn't.

15. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Do you think it's eating when I'm not looking? Like eating food form the bottom? He looks fine, he's swimming fine, my biggest angel sometimes pecks at him, but not very often.

16. MommaLake

Hmmm idk. Usually when something tasty goes in the tank they should go for it.

I have been searching articles and YouTube and it seems having angels of too different of sizes usually doesn’t end well long term.
    I’ve been having similar issues in my tank with the bigger ones bullying the smaller ones, not hurting but chasing (like yours). However mine do eat when I feed.

I’ve decided, for my situation, I’m going to move my big ones to a different tank, rotate some fish around. If at all possible, especially since yours is not (or appears to not be) eating, you may want to do the same. Maybe when they’re all the same size you could try rearranging the tank and reintroduce.

*edit: I just want to say that I have only been keeping fish for 2+ years. I feel comfortable making decisions about my tanks but I am by no means an expert. Maybe we need a really experienced angel keeper to help you.

17. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

I could switch the two smaller ones, with my breeding pair. Smaller ones back in the 40, breeding pair back in the 135. But my breeding pair killed my other 2 angels so I'm kind of afraid of putting them with other angelfish. But my bigger ones of the 4 are just a tiny bit smaller than the pair.

18. MommaLake

Yeah if the others are known killers I wouldn’t do that. You are there with your fish. I’d do what your gut tells you is right

19. MommaLake

Did you ever get around to trying just adding more plants? Sometimes that can really help.

20. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

I have no idea what to do. I switched them around, but they're just flaring at each other constantly. And fighting. I have no other tanks. I put in a divider.