Alage is randomly dying??

Fishmanperson

So I dont know if this is a good thing or bad thing cause I had a lot alage in the tank but I didnt clean it cause I kinda liked it that way but now pretty much all alage has randomly died keep in mind I have no shrimp or plecos or anything like that. Its a 55 gallon tank with 3 angelfish and 8 blood heart tetras and they seem to all be doing fine. I checked the water quality to the ph is a little bit higher than normal but not enough to really effect the tank. So I would just like to know are my angelfish and tetras for some reason eating all the alage or is it a water quality problem.

SparkyJones

So I dont know if this is a good thing or bad thing cause I had a lot alage in the tank but I didnt clean it cause I kinda liked it that way but now pretty much all alage has randomly died keep in mind I have no shrimp or plecos or anything like that. Its a 55 gallon tank with 3 angelfish and 8 blood heart tetras and they seem to all be doing fine. I checked the water quality to the ph is a little bit higher than normal but not enough to really effect the tank. So I would just like to know are my angelfish and tetras for some reason eating all the alage or is it a water quality problem.
I don't know about the tetras but the angels will graze on algae from time to time, but if you have a lot they really shouldn't be putting much of a dent in it. the algae has probably grown to a point it's depleted a resource in the water and just can't continue without dying off to what the tank can support.

Oh and angels if breeding will clean off a vertical surface to lay eggs, is that maybe what it is? a bare spot in a specific location and vertical? they also can clean a few spots looking for the right place to lay eggs and hit one spot for a while then write it off and move to a new spot.

The key to that is a vertical or mostly vertical surface, they don't usually lay eggs on horizontal surfaces.

if it's like almost all the algae, I'd say it's a boom and bust cycle, and the tank can't support what you had, it overpopulated and is now dying back. it will come back in time if the nutrients it was using build up again.

Oh and, in case you are wondering, there's not much information on how to feed and keep algae thriving out there, it's seen as a plague to 99.9% of the hobby.
If you find out some things on how to get it going strong, or getting different types and colors consistently, I'd personally love to see the data and info on it!

tons of info on how to get rid of it, not much info on how to grow it. I guess because its supposed to be really easy.
it grows great in my pool, I can't grow a speck in my aquariums.

Similar Aquarium Threads

10 Gallon Tank What did I do wrong?
Replies
Views
mygerbilprince
  • Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Gold Coast