Akari's 50 gallon Tropical Tank

1. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My first time back in just tropicals in a few years! I had to move the goldfish out to the ponds because they required too much time for my busy schedule. Nasty poop machines.... Lol

My stock right now is:

1x Swordtail
    1x German Blue Ram
    1x Male Betta
    2x Bristlenose Plecos
    5x Siamese Algae Eaters
    13x Neon Tetras
    10x Serpae Tetras

I'm searching for a centerpiece that can behave toward my Neons and put up with my Serpaes. The only thing I come up with is a Keyhole Cichlid. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them!

And here's a FTS.

[​IMG]

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

The tank looks great!!

I was looking through some of the freshwater fish profiles, the best I can think of is a lovely pearl gourami or 3 (I have a male and female with blue neons, black neons, a blue ram and some harlequin tetras) they look so stately and gorgeous! Maybe some rainbows, they are lovely and pretty active, they would adore your 50.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks!

Gourami were my first choice, but now that I have a feel for my Serpaes, I don't think they'll be a good choice. The Serpaes are a bunch a lunatics, and they go after any fish that they think is an easy target. Any gourami that I'm willing to put into my tank (for the Neon's sakes, I'm not going anywhere near Three Spots), the Serpaes would be on it faster than a hungry dog on a steak. I love pearls, but I don't think they're strong willed enough to be housed with my crazy freaks lol My first choice was a trio of Thicklipped Sunset Gourami. I love that yellow, and thought it would look great against all the red fish in my tank, and all the bright green plants. But I just think the Serpaes would be too rowdy for them :/

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Probably safe to not put those pearl gouramis with tetras, they are more timid than other gouramis.

5. Jim Well Known Member Member

If you are looking for Gouramis that can hold their own, try dwarfs.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Or blue gouramis, or paradise gouramis, banded gouramis. (probably not in your tank though)

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The DG stock is terrible down here. I thought about that too, then remembered they always look like crud. I'd also like something bigger, in the 4-5 inch range. Selection is really limited down here. PetCo, PetSmart and Pet Supermarket all have the same stock, and the only LFS just closed. Walmart gets some interesting type fish in sometimes, AND they get in female DGs (I could get a trio!!!), but... its Walmart... lol I can order just about anything at Pet Supermarket, though.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe banded gouramis? He pays no attention to my ram.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

They're pretty much the same as Thicklipped gourami. From what I can find, it says not to mix them with boisterous fish. I was really hoping that I got a large enough school of Serpaes that they would behave themselves with other fish, but I'm not sure they will. I could always try out one of these gourami species, and return them if they get beat up.... I don't know that I even want to go that route though.

10. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Sigh... I miss Dharma now after seeing the pic of you tank in the first post :(

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I knowwwww :( Pudge died too (the white Oranda). I'm a sucker for round fish, and I always pay for it in the end :/ The poor goldfish stock around here is also a reason why I moved away from goldfish. I can't keep replacing $7 fish all the time. It's bad for my mental well-being.... Lol