airstones

1. dee34 Member Member

i just set up a 120g saltwater tank but is it ok to but an airstone in ?

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm not a salty member, but hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to help.

I've never read of an air stone in a sw tank, but that really doesn't mean anything.

:) 120g sw tank sounds amazing. :)

3. dee34 Member Member

:;banamani think airstones and coral dont mix but im not sure , ill post some pics when its complete prob in janurary !

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. Oil_Fan Well Known Member Member

See my response in that thread. The bubbles don't cause an issue with the fish. It's the salt creep that becomes the issue. But I still do run one in my 20 gallon FOWLR.

6. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

I know of only two problems associated with bubbles (not microbubbles) in the tank. One is that it causes alot of salt creep where the bubble burst. The second is that depending on the size of the bubbles and how well the tank is maintained it can cause an affect similar to a protein skimmer. This effect can cause dirty water at the surface. Other than that, they are perfectly fine. As far as mucrobbuble as concern I have read that the microbubbles may attach to the fish indefinietely and can cause diffenrent types of bacteria to grow in this entrapped air and may cause sifferent types of illnesses on the fish. I have not found any significant evidence of this yet so if anyone has eny readings that they might suggest on this topic I t would be very helpfull in understanding this issue further.