Air Stones

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

What is an air stone, and how does it work??

2. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

It looks a bit like a block of pumice stone or concrete with rough edges and it sort of sieves the air coming out from the pump which is how you get the effect of lots of little bubbles coming out of the pump rather than large explosions of air. A perfect place to see one is inside the middle tube of a bi-orb ;)

3. FishFan Member Member

I actually have bubble curtains. They are long wands that you hook up air tubing to and it makes tons of bubbles-I love it! Also-my fish love playing in the bubbles!

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Alright, so what does an air pump do? I have a power filter, but I've heard you need it for some other types of filter?? This is the one piece of equipment I haven't quite figured out.

5. FishFan Member Member

OK-I think there are filters that run off the air pump. As for air stones, air curtains, etc., they hook up to an air pump via tubling and provide air to your tank. Air serves many purposes. Maybe someone else can assist with explaining.

6. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah, fishfan is right. An air pump pushes air into the air stone which forms the bubbles. You can get a filter with an air pump inbuilt to save space - thats normally what you see in most smaller aquariums but in larger ones you will probably see bubbles coming from a seperate machine to the filter.

This is an air pump : http://www.aquaworld.ca/cat2_1.htm
    And this is a filter: http://www.aquaworld.ca/cat6_1.htm

Does your power filter blow bubbles in the water?

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

My eheim filter blows bubbles into the water but it took me about 2-3 months to figure out it could.

8. Craig Well Known Member Member

does getting these air stones increase the number of fish u can put in ur tank by increasing the oxygen in the tank?????????

9. Craig Well Known Member Member

does gettin these air stones and pumps increase the number of fish u can get by incresing the oxygen in the tank?????? is it just used for a decorational use????

10. FishFan Member Member

It is also to get out some of the gases that can harm fish. The gases get trapped in the bubbles and when they pop at the surface, they release the harmful gas! (Yeah, they are fun to watch, too!)

11. Craig Well Known Member Member

what happened i started the air stone thing did mike change it in2 1 post or what lol im confused ??? ??? ???

12. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, I think I've figured the aeration stuff out. Miss Mouse, my filter does push bubbles into the water if the water line is low enough, but I'm trying to keep the turbulence to a minimum since I'm getting bettas.

13. FishFan Member Member

No, I did. I saw this topic in 2 different places, so I merged them into one. Sorry to cause confusion.

14. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Does your bubble bit have a "pressure" change thingy on the nozzle or does it just come out the top? On mine you can change the pressure of the air and water coming out to a minimum. If not I dont know what to do but my betta loves the bubbles in the biorb and they're quite strong.

15. Craig Well Known Member Member

ahhhhh i c but does increasin the aeration increase the number of fish u can get?? or is it just for decoration??

16. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Miss Mouse, I actually haven't set up the aeration system yet. I'm not worried about that with my Bettas (which I hope to get soon!). It's just my filter that I'm worrying about, since it's an external power filter, the kind that sucks up water and then it overflows and pours back into the tank, which creates a lot of water movement if the water line is low enough. Hovever, I found that it isn't a problem if I keep the water level high enough, so the water from the filter doesn't have as far to fall.

17. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Oooh I seee! Well I haven't got a clue about the external filters so I cant help you but I'm glad you resolved the problem.
    I was looking at getting an external filter but they are quite expensive compared to the internal ones so I just got a very large internal one and have found that it really shoots out a very hard spray of water and air even on the lowest setting.. its like a tidal wave in the big tank! I dont know if the fishies will be very happy with that and I dont know what to do now.. I cant return it because i've been using it for a few weeks. :-[ Anyone got any ideas how to reduce the flow even more? Someone mentioned to put a thin pipe over the nozzle and run it right through the tank with a few pin holes in it and see if I cant a net of bubbles coming out of the pipe.. :-\

18. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Miss Mouse, can you post a photo of your filter? Also, 0morrokh, you could also put a pre-filter sponge over your intake to slow your flow down a little bit. This will also help you with any betta fry later on (I'm assuming your are interested in breeding?)

19. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

20. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I got my filter a while ago, but I'm pretty sure power filters that hang on the back of your tank aren't that expensive--not like a canister filter or something. Gunnie, that's a good idea. I'm actually not planning to breed Bettas, I'm just getting females because they're more compatible with other fish.