air stones big bubbles

1. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

Ok, so I don't mean to sound like an idiot but, I bought an air stone and popped it into my tank(after rinsing it in water treated with prime), so anyways my question is this: is it normal for large bubbles to be coming from my air stone at the end the tubing plugs onto? There is some small bubble distribution across the rest of the stone, but then there is these huge bubbles just at the tube end. Is that a usual or common occurrence when purchasing air stones or can I get one that doesn't have these huge bubbles?

2. ivonko Member Member

i dont know much about air stones but it sounds like it may be too dense so its forcing the bubbles to come out before they get dispersed throughout the stone evenly. hope somebody with air stones can give you more reliable information!

3. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello and :sign0016: to FishLore!

Airstones need to be soaked for an hour before being hooked up to an air pump. I found this out through trial and error when my airstone wasn't producing bubbles.

So, try soaking your airstone in tank water for an hour, then attach tubing to it and turn on the pump. See if that works!

4. uphill4me Member Member

Could be a crappy air stone, could be too much air pressure. Do you have a relief valve or second output? Could be hard on the pump without.

I prefer a minimum 3 output valve on any airline; one or two for the tank and one or two to relieve extra pressure and control output more effectively. As the stones get clogged with Algae they become restricted and are increasingly hard on the pump without a secondary, low restriction output.

Try gently sanding the outside of the airstone then rinsing and soaking before hooking up again.

Adding Tea Tree Oil (Melafix) makes air bubbles much smaller (and arguably prevents fungus). Don't use too much or it's almost like foam on the surface if you use a lot of air! Will foam slightly more overnight. (Some people skim this foam to slightly reduce hardness in excessively hard tanks.)

Odds are, you got a bum airstone. It happens.

5. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

I have a dual valve air pump, with one free, and only one hose attached, which leads to a 3 way air valve, with one free and two hoses into the tank, one with a clam bubbler and the other for the air stone. If I turn down the valve to the air stone all small bubbles stop an only the larger ones by the hose remain, like the part the hose attaches to isn't fully sealed... Guess ill try getting a new one.

Thanks for the tip on soaking them, I was told to just rinse it well, I'll soak the next one.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

sounds like it didn't seal up right, you could try a few things to fix it, but they are usually more trouble than they are worth for the cost of the new stone.

7. jbdub Member Member

I noticed this when I got a new more poweful air pump, I just put it down to higher air pressure forcing out bigger bubbles.