Air Stone?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a hob filter on Fuego's side of my tank (set as low as possible), but there is almost no water movement on Cas's side of the tank. I noticed that there's a film developing on the surface just on her side of the tank. Also I'm worried about hot/cold spots developing. The holes in the divider are pretty small so there's not much circulation. Would an air stone be a good idea? Or even a bubble wand?--or would that cause too much movement?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an airstone in my divided tanks right next to the heater. I find it helps circulate the warm water better. I also keep the heater next to the divider so the wamth is in the center and can circulate to both sides. It wouldn't hurt to get a gang valve and split the air so you have one on each side. You can turn it down so it isn't as strong if it bothers the fish.
A wand creates a lot of disturbance so a small stone is better.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have used both the wand and the airstone and the bettas have been okay with them and yes they do need some air movement to keep the surface from building up a film or dust and make a clean surface to come up to breathe. You will need a control for keeping the amount of air from pouring out in a big blast or tie a knot in the airline and tighten or loosen it to control the airflow (a hassle I will have to say and the controls only cost a small amount) I get 5 controls and 4 T connections and 2 suction cups in a package for $1.49 when I am ordering from Drs. Foster and Smith.

~ the green one..they work better than the complicated ones and are cheaper by far.

The cheap airstones work as good as the others but they fall apart after so long (all of them) in the water so be prepared with a spare as you will go to clean it off some day and it will go to pieces in your hand.

Phloxface's idea to have the heater right by the divider and have a T connector in the airline and two control lines and an airstone on each side is great!!

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
;D I have a small filter on one side of my divided tank and a regular filter on the other side. I also have an airstone on the side with the small filter. So far it seems to be working well. Before I put the small filter and the airstone on the one side the water was getting covered with film. The air stone is right next to the divider and even sends bubbles to the other side of the divider. ;D

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok I'll add airstones.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom