Air Stone?

1. g

guppy247 Initiate Member

I'd like to get an air stone, to increase the surface agitation in my tank and get rid of the filmy layer that is always there. I have a very small freshwater tank-1.5 gal- and I'd like to know what kind of air stone is best to get.

I don't have much space in the tank, and I don't have room for more equipment with tubing or wires. I already have a filter/bubbler, but it doesn't take care of the problem. Is there an air stone or something like it that will release bubbles to the surface? Anybody have an idea? Thanks. :)

2. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

The best diffuser I have found is a bit of cotton stuffed into the end of the airline tubing. As this line is so light, I then weight it down with a rock or wrap a plant anchor around it.

If you want to purchase a diffuser, bamboo works great; but needs to be replaced as it can clog. Ceramic is good too, but some of them take quite a bit of room.

Another option is to purchase a sponge filter. Not only will it help to diffuse the air bubbles, but it will provide additional space for bacteria to colonize.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have usually just bought the little push in the end of the tube stone ones available at any LFS or online for fairly short money and they do a great job for me.

The DIY ones would be great if you don't want to spend the money. In a tank that small I think the sponge filter might be a bit hard to squeeze in but if you can would make a great way to help filter the tank and keep the beneficial bacteria around.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I never thought about a cotton ball, good suggestion. I was looking for something to control the intake on the airtube of an under water filter. A rubberband and a cottonball would be perfect..... and I tried it and it actually does work. Woopie and thank you.:;hi2:;dete

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Are you feeding flakes?

6. OP
    OP
    g

guppy247 Initiate Member

I'm not sure which type I'll go with, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll get something good for a bigger tank someday. :)