Air Stone?

1. guppy247 Initiate Member

I'd like to get an air stone, to increase the surface agitation in my tank and get rid of the filmy layer that is always there. I have a very small freshwater tank-1.5 gal- and I'd like to know what kind of air stone is best to get.

I don't have much space in the tank, and I don't have room for more equipment with tubing or wires. I already have a filter/bubbler, but it doesn't take care of the problem. Is there an air stone or something like it that will release bubbles to the surface? Anybody have an idea? Thanks. :)

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

The best diffuser I have found is a bit of cotton stuffed into the end of the airline tubing. As this line is so light, I then weight it down with a rock or wrap a plant anchor around it.

If you want to purchase a diffuser, bamboo works great; but needs to be replaced as it can clog. Ceramic is good too, but some of them take quite a bit of room.

Another option is to purchase a sponge filter. Not only will it help to diffuse the air bubbles, but it will provide additional space for bacteria to colonize.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have usually just bought the little push in the end of the tube stone ones available at any LFS or online for fairly short money and they do a great job for me.

The DIY ones would be great if you don't want to spend the money. In a tank that small I think the sponge filter might be a bit hard to squeeze in but if you can would make a great way to help filter the tank and keep the beneficial bacteria around.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I never thought about a cotton ball, good suggestion. I was looking for something to control the intake on the airtube of an under water filter. A rubberband and a cottonball would be perfect..... and I tried it and it actually does work. Woopie and thank you.:;hi2:;dete

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Are you feeding flakes?

6. guppy247 Initiate Member

I'm not sure which type I'll go with, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll get something good for a bigger tank someday. :)