Air Stone Squeaking

MonteCarlo

Hi guys,

I'm having a minor issue with my air stone making a squeaking noise. This has happened twice with two different brands/styles of air stone. The first time it started making noise was after the tubing got accidentally stretched badly during maintenance. I replaced the tubing and the air stone. Now the new setup is making a squeaking noise too. There is nothing odd about the setup - no name air pump, one way check valve, tubing and air stone. If I pinch the line, or disconnect the tubing from the pump, the noise goes away, so it's caused by the air passing through the system, not the pump itself. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks.

AquaBaby

Is your pump adjustable? If so, does turning it up or down take care of the sound? If not, you might try a different pump and see if it still makes the sound. Sometimes it's just that particular stone with a certain amount of air flowing through it. Just like whistling or blowing across the top of a bottle... the right air flow makes the sound.

Also, is the check valve making the noise? Once I had a check valve with a small hole in it and it was the culprit of the sound rather than the stone or pump.

Upvote 0

MonteCarlo

Is your pump adjustable? If so, does turning it up or down take care of the sound? If not, you might try a different pump and see if it still makes the sound. Sometimes it's just that particular stone with a certain amount of air flowing through it. Just like whistling or blowing across the top of a bottle... the right air flow makes the sound.

Also, is the check valve making the noise? Once I had a check valve with a small hole in it and it was the culprit of the sound rather than the stone or pump.
It isn't the check valve because I swapped that too. It could be a bad case of Helmholtz resonance, as you suggest. Turning the knob on the pump does have an effect on the sound, but it just seems like more air = more noise, as opposed to a particular setting that causes trouble.

I very well might try a new pump, but I'm not convinced it will solve the problem. I should also add that this is pretty minor and not that loud, just mildly irritating.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
huntress1181
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi