Air stone question

Rose of Sharon
Hi,

We are being reminded rather frequently by the weather channel that hurricane season is upon us here in the gulf coast. We have been known to lose power for a few days on end when one of these storms hits our area.

I currenlty am down to one betta tank.

I found an air stone set up on amazon that works off of a usb plug, so I could use it by plugging it into one of our portable chargers (power pack).

Is this worth getting for when our power goes out just to give the betta some oxygen? It gets really hot here when the power goes out. I have worked out a way to keep him cool, but was wondering about an air stone....

mattgirl
I am not sure the Betta would have a problem with lack of oxygen since they can breathe from the air but I would go ahead and set this system up. Still, warm water tends to get stagnant fairly fast. Some water movement will prevent that and will also add oxygen for the bacteria if the power is going to be off for possibly days.

barbiespoodle
Personally I would do it just for the peace of mind.

Yes your betta can survive just gulping air, that is how they manage to survive in those tiny cups until someone buys them. But I'm a silly old lady who fuss's over her aquatic life as much as she does her fur babies. That is why if I was in your shoes, I would do it.

I recently went though a weather problem so feel for you.

And here are my good thoughts going out to you( I use good thoughts because they are non demoniacal). I hope you don't have to go through it, but if you do, I'm also putting out the good thoughts that you are one of the lucky ones.

Rose of Sharon
barbiespoodle said:
Personally I would do it just for the peace of mind.

Yes your betta can survive just gulping air, that is how they manage to survive in those tiny cups until someone buys them. But I'm a silly old lady who fuss's over her aquatic life as much as she does her fur babies. That is why if I was in your shoes, I would do it.

I recently went though a weather problem so feel for you.

And here are my good thoughts going out to you( I use good thoughts because they are non demoniacal). I hope you don't have to go through it, but if you do, I'm also putting out the good thoughts that you are one of the lucky ones.
Thanks so much; I have already ordered that air stone. We have really gotten it with both the hurricanes last August/September, and an ice storm this past February. We lost power for 9 days for the hurricane (lost all of my bettas!), and we were without water for 9 or 10 days for the ice storm. We have had our share for sure!

barbiespoodle
Rose of Sharon said:
Thanks so much; I have already ordered that air stone. We have really gotten it with both the hurricanes last August/September, and an ice storm this past February. We lost power for 9 days for the hurricane (lost all of my bettas!), and we were without water for 9 or 10 days for the ice storm. We have had our share for sure!
Oh wow, you have been through the wars to quote from one of my fav books.

And I feel your pain since I have had to go through some pretty dramatic weather here in northern Ohio, I mean like a snow storm on May 9th of all things. Even with us being an older couple and have had a hard time of it like when the furnace broke during a sub zero spell, we still haven't had it as bad as you and I hope we never will, I consider myself lucky in the overall scheme of things and you just proved that (I just knocked on wood so as not to jinx me, lol).

Again, sending my good thoughts to you, if anyone deserves good thoughts, it's you.

Top Bottom