30 Gallon Tank Air stone/pump

AngieKay3000

Hiya everyone, so....I’ve had my tank running for over 2 months. GBRs and snails. Added a powder blue dwarf Gourami (he’s going back to LFS today he’s a terror to my GBRs) and 4 guppies. I have lost 3 guppies in less than a week. They were SUPER tiny and only the one that is left looked healthy. Idk what I’m doing wrong. No other tank residents have had any issues. I changed the air pump last night to a bigger one to produce more air bubbles. Thinking they needed more air? But this morning, I can’t find the male

I have this air pump and stone for my 30g. Is this sufficient enough? Do I need a bigger stone or pump? I like this one because it’ SUPER quiet. Any help appreciated TIA!

Lebeeze

Maybe its the water temp? I know gbr like at least 83 or 84 and guppies like it cooler. Just a guess. Or a bad batch of guppies?

Upvote 0

AngieKay3000

I’m thinking the guppies weren’t very healthy too. And yeah my temp is at 82 for the GBRs. Thanks!

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

82 is good for rams. What type of filter on the tank? How much water is it moving. I don’t have bubblers in any of my tanks.
Guppies were probably sick. Guppies are also live bearers and with males and females can quickly overrun a tank.

Upvote 0

AngieKay3000

82 is good for rams. What type of filter on the tank? How much water is it moving. I don’t have bubblers in any of my tanks.
Guppies were probably sick. Guppies are also live bearers and with males and females can quickly overrun a tank.
Hi! I have the Marineland Biowheel Penguin 200 HOB filter. It does not have adjustable flow. Is that too strong for guppies? I’m very sad I lost them. I had 3:1 female to male ratio. And now only have the one healthiest looking female left. And she’s still hovering at the top or hiding in the corner most of the time.

Sometimes she will swim to the other side but only at the top. Also, I’m wondering if the aggressive Gourami (that I’m returning today) has anything to do with it? I’ve seen this guppy try to swim below water line a few times since I’ve had her and the Gourami notices quickly and chases her.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

LIke 86 ssinit, I don’t have air stones in any of my tanks, including the Ram tanks.

Unless you stock other fish that can tolerate the water temperature they need, I’ve found Rams do best in a species only tank.

Upvote 0

AngieKay3000

LIke 86 ssinit, I don’t have air stones in any of my tanks, including the Ram tanks.

Unless you stock other fish that can tolerate the water temperature they need, I’ve found Rams do best in a species only tank.
Thank you so much!!! That is my plan. Returning Gourami. And I’m currently trying to find some female GBRs to add. Currently with the 2 male GBRs they fight/bicker consistently. They stopped when I added Gourami because he is terrorizing them both. I’m sure when Gourami leaves the rams will go back to bickering. Until I can find more females, then idk what else to do.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Thank you so much!!! That is my plan. Returning Gourami. And I’m currently trying to find some female GBRs to add. Currently with the 2 male GBRs they fight/bicker consistently. They stopped when I added Gourami because he is terrorizing them both. I’m sure when Gourami leaves the rams will go back to bickering. Until I can find more females, then idk what else to do.

Great idea! Check with coralbandit.

Rams should have plenty of hiding spots where they can establish territories. Can you post a picture of your tank?

Upvote 0

AngieKay3000

Great idea! Check with coralbandit.

Rams should have plenty of hiding spots where they can establish territories. Can you post a picture of your tank?
Sure thing. I just picked up a small piece of driftwood I’m going to add. I need to tie the Anubias to it. Otherwise they can get behind all these plants you see. TIA! ☺

Well... I was planned on getting some female GBRs from coralbandit, but I’m still trying to get to 50 posts to be able to do so. ☺ Can he ship them to me?

Upvote 0

coralbandit

More wood and objects on the bottom like a rock or wood will add cover for rams .
I ship no worries just get to 50 post and PM me .I got yelled at for offering my fish since you did not ask so I am hesitant to say much more and get in trouble .. I may have to change my name to Black Sheep !
IMO the gourami did the gupps in ..They are mean fish for real .Too few realize quickly like you have as they don't always see what is going on in the tank .
Good move returning the DG.
IMO guppies should be fine in the warmer water and do fine with the rams ..
Rams need to be #1 fish in tank , glad you are taking that approach ..
If your filter moves the surface you don't need bubbles ..
I run a combination of HOBs [all aquaclear] and air driven sponge filters ..
I don't run the sponge for the bubbles but for the bio activity they provide ..

Upvote 0

AngieKay3000

More wood and objects on the bottom like a rock or wood will add cover for rams .
I ship no worries just get to 50 post and PM me .I got yelled at for offering my fish since you did not ask so I am hesitant to say much more and get in trouble .. I may have to change my name to Black Sheep !
IMO the gourami did the gupps in ..They are mean fish for real .Too few realize quickly like you have as they don't always see what is going on in the tank .
Good move returning the DG.
IMO guppies should be fine in the warmer water and do fine with the rams ..
Rams need to be #1 fish in tank , glad you are taking that approach ..
If your filter moves the surface you don't need bubbles ..
I run a combination of HOBs [all aquaclear] and air driven sponge filters ..
I don't run the sponge for the bubbles but for the bio activity they provide ..
Thank you SO much! I am so sorry for getting you in trouble. I realized the rule after the fact. Working on getting to that 50! Hehe! ☺️

Do the female addition GBRs need to be blue rams? Or can they be of another variety? Black rams? Are the rams variations entirely different and need same variation to mate up in pairs? I feel kinda screwed having the mature males and trying to find them females to add (hoping and fingers crossing that they will “pair up” and get along. Stopping my males from bickering) that is the goal at least. ☺️

Thank you for helping me not feel SO bad. I really am trying to be a good fish momma. The Gourami was so mean yes!!

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

As said rams like caves so if you have an rivers or streams or even ocean rocks. These will work just build some caves to give them some territory and they’ll bicker less.

Upvote 0

AngieKay3000

As said rams like caves so if you have an rivers or streams or even ocean rocks. These will work just build some caves to give them some territory and they’ll bicker less.
Thank you! I am soaking the piece of driftwood now. I really don’t want my water turning reddish from the tannin? First piece of driftwood lol. I plan to tie the Anubias to it also. Hoping that gives them more cover. Thanks again! ☺️

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MonteCarlo
Replies
Views
ELON MOLLUSK
Replies
Views
david1978