Air stone problem

Thetanknwebie

Well Known
Hello all! I decided to cancel my Amazon order for my new air pump and buy it at Petsupermaket since I had a coupon and they were on sale. I decided on the "up to 10 gallons" Tetra Whisper pump and I really like it. Since my tank is in my bedroom, the pump must be very quiet. To muffle the pump as much as possible, I put it on the top shelf of the armoire. I ran the power supply and airline tubing through the cord hole in the back and into the tank. When I plugged-in the pump, it was very quiet but the air stone bar was so noisy. The bubbles are coming through but it's very very very loud. Will getting a bigger pump help? Or a smaller air Stone? Or both? Thanks!!

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
I have the same exact airpump on my bubble bar. If you place your hand on it notices how instantly silent it becomes. Theres like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of give in the feet that is the difference between silence and that noisy sound you are getting. The air intake is on the top so anything you can put under it for padding, doesn't even have to be much, or just move its placement and find the happy spot. It really is a solid little pump.

Rivieraneo

Fishlore VIP
Are you saying that the airstone was noise when in the water and air was going through it ? did you install a one way valve along with a flow control valve in the airline tubing to control air flow and prevent water from being sucked into the pump in case of power outage ?

OP
T

Thetanknwebie

Well Known
Are you saying that the airstone was noise when in the water and air was going through it ? did you install a one way valve along with a flow control valve in the airline tubing to control air flow and prevent water from being sucked into the pump in case of power outage ?

Yes, the air stone is making a lot of noise. I didn't put any valves on it but I did put the pump on a shelf 3 ft higher than the top of the tank. I also randomly unplugged it to see if it would back siphon and very little water entered the part of the airline tubing inside the water.

I have the same exact airpump on my bubble bar. If you place your hand on it notices how instantly silent it becomes. Theres like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of give in the feet that is the difference between silence and that noisy sound you are getting. The air intake is on the top so anything you can put under it for padding, doesn't even have to be much, or just move its placement and find the happy spot. It really is a solid little pump.

Thanks! I put it on top of a little pillow and I can't hear any noise coming from the pump. I'm getting a lot of noise from the air stone itself.

OP
T

Thetanknwebie

Well Known
Here are the pics:

Pump before I put it on the pillow, it's still pretty quiet without the pillow

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1427978144.249563.jpg

Cord and airline tubing running through the cord hole. Please ignore the dust, spring cleaning has just started

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1427978268.970325.jpg

Here's the noisy air stone, it sounds almost like a never-ending whoosh.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1427978360.477234.jpg

OP
T

Thetanknwebie

Well Known
3g but I'm upgrading as soon as my tank finishes cycling

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
That pumpy is probably too strong for that size tank. Its rated to push air underneath the weight of 10 gallons of water, but its work load is 2/3rd reduced basically, so you're getting a ton of air. You might look into a smaller pump if you can find one.

OP
T

Thetanknwebie

Well Known
But the box says "up to 10 gallons". I think I'll have it on a timer so it turns off when I go to sleep and it turns on after I wake up. Thanks!

CaptArtemis

just put a flow control valve on it. it will solve your noise issue.

Jsigmo

Well Known
I hate restricting the air flow out of an air pump. It makes the diaphragms fail prematurely.

If you just get a larger air stone or bubble wand or the like, it'll spread the air out over a larger area and reduce the pressures. That will quiet things down and retain the higher air flow rate.

If you do use a valve to reduce the flow to the airstone, set it up so you're venting the excess air with the valve (what we call a shunt regulator in electronics work) rather than simply putting the valve in series with the airstone. That way, you keep the pressure as low as possible on the pump diaphragms.

OP
T

Thetanknwebie

Well Known
Thanks! I think I will use the splitter valve that came with the pump and run another air stone in another tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
evonner
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
KinderScout
  • Question
30 Gallon Tank Air stone/pump
Replies
Views
AngieKay3000

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

To add a link to a post, just copy the URL from the address bar of your web browser and then paste it into your post. The forum will automatically turn it into a clickable link for you.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom