Air Stone: Necessory Or Not?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mmp4, Apr 14, 2017.

1. m

mmp4 Valued Member Member

Is it necessary to have an air stone in my tank or is it just considered a decorative piece?

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Not necessary.

3. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

Definitely not, Ive never used one before. I dislike them personally.

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on the use.. For example, its often used to aerate the water and provide a bit of oxygen. This is useful if you are trying to cool the tank and or using it when you have to raise the temps up ( for treating ich )

Also some plants thrive better with water movement and to help algae. Circulation and aeration has shown to be effective in controlling algae.

5. Zahc

Agreed completely, in hospital tanks they can be useful. My tanks just have heaps of circulation, and quite alot of surface agitation, therefore removing the need of an air stone completely.

If you set your filters and powerheads up correctly, they are definitely not a necessity at all, and imo unattractive/unnatural.

6. Junne

I have 2 in my display tank - hidden behind the plants in the back of the tank. My QT tank has one too but no where to hide it because its at bare minimum.

7. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks for all the input. Im just getting started with my first tank so I wasn't sure if it was a must have.

8. Junne

What size is your tank and what will you have in it? Plants?

9. OP
    OP
    m

10. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Air stone is pretty much mandatory for the tank with my electric blue crayfish.

11. Zahc

Air stones circulate the water from top to bottom, but gently, helping with gas exchange. Technically, they don't add oxygen to the water. A bit of surface agitation and a powerhead or 2 will get you countless times more oxygen, circulation and gas exchange in your tank than an air stone will.

Plants don't require air stones at all. They take in CO2 and release oxygen, so air stones imo, are even more useless in a planted tank, unless you have slow moving fish that dislike current like Bettas.

12. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks. Good to know.

13. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

I have a dissolved oxygen meter and while I haven't done any formal experiments, I think there's significant gas exchange between bubbles and water. No air stone can supersaturate water with oxygen because the air still has 21% oxygen. When I hook up an oxygen concentrator to an air stone, the oxygen saturation can quickly exceed 300% which means oxygen is being absorbed from the bubbles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice