Help Air Stone Causing Tons Of Bubbles On Surface

Littlewoman01

Reaction score
So the other night the tank I had my axolotl in cracked.. I found this out at 3 A.M. with a huge puddle and half of the water missing. So I quickly put my one fish and axolotl in a plastic bin with water from original tank, and new water. Since my filter now won't reach the water I can't use it, so I put in an air stone for some movement and oxygen. Whenever it's on there is a huge build up of bubbles on the surface, looks as if I put soap in, but of course I did not. Is this dangerous to the axolotl or does it matter? And why is it doing this?
1556894112413.jpg
1556894133619.jpg

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I may be wrong but I would think the bubbles are because of no current since there is no filter. Different air stones have different bubble sizes and I found that the small stones can create these small bubbles, not as soapy looking as these are but it is close.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you add any medication to the water? I find it does this when I add some medications/chemicals.

OP
Littlewoman01

Littlewoman01

Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
Did you add any medication to the water? I find it does this when I add some medications/chemicals.
Nope, no medications.

Pat93

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you wash the tub before you put them in?
I know medications as mentioned above , and water conditions (probably even just small amounts of ammonia and nitrite) can cause bubbles but if the bubbles are staying there is definently a reason. Even if it was a brand new tub it could have had some coating inside it or something.

If your aquatic compatriots aren’t freaking out anymore then they would be during a tank transfer then it’s probably not hurting them.
I would not keep them in that water any longer then I had to if I were in your shoes all the same.

New Threads