Air Stone bubbles

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 28 gal with a biowheel type filter rated for 30 gal tank. Currently there's 5 serpae's They look happy. I have only been running the air pump when I'm home cause I read somewhere that the bubble were just for us. Fish really didn't need them. Is this true. Will I need to add air once I add more fish? Thinking of adding 2 pictus catfish and 2 rams. ???

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add another filter, I believe that's a penguin bio-wheel 100, you'l need another .

Air bubbles just add oxygen to the tank,you can leave them on all the time but the fish don't need them, just make sure you have a check valve on your pump if it's below the water level so the water wn't back siphon down and ruin your pump and. You only want them when you have lots of fish and there is little oxygen in your water and you don't want them if you have live plants, otherwise they are for your enjoyment, you are correct. Pictus are very active fish depending on the type so go to planetcatfish to see which type you can have for your tank as for rams I think you want three, two female, one male.

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thks ATM, I was just checking my information, You stated I don't have enough filtration, Do the manufacturers not know what they are making, or is it just more filter is better than less? :'( I just went out and bought this one. If I had known or done better research before hand I could have saved.

Again Thanks for your help.

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi shelby, if you go to freshwater equipment on this forum there is a question i posted to the members:: filtration ...how much is too much?? the general consensus from this question was 10x filration i have a (now measured with water in it!!) 250 litre tank and am running 2x 1200 litres per hour filtration

if that makes any sense!! so if you have a 28g tank maybe 280g p/h is the ideal filter

regards dazzler

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well who said keeping fish was cheap or easy. I guess once I get settled and get the stuff I don't have I'll consider another or larger filter. The manufactures should really get there S**T togethere. The filter I have will have to work until then. again thanks someday I may learn :-\

jj

Reaction score
Im over filters as well. My shop sold me what they said was the correct size, then I felt immediately it wasn't adequate when it was in tank. I contacted the maker, and they said it was the right size but I could only have 2 fish. I had to go and buy a much larger one. (from a different shop) That is where it is so frustrating and very expensive. We rely on these shops advice! It is costing much more than I was first led to believe, even after all my research. Still happy though, but it is annoying.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shelby said:
Well who said keeping fish was cheap or easy.  I guess once I get settled and get the stuff I don't have I'll consider another or larger filter.  The manufactures should really get there S**T togethere.  The filter I have will have to work until then.   again thanks  someday I may learn    :-\
Just make sure you don't stock very heavy at all until you get a new filter so you don't run into problems and your tnak is less maintenance.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom